E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

USing a non OEM Motorola V60s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USing a non OEM Motorola V60s

I was considering getting the integrated phone option for my 2003 W211 and I was wondering if anyone who has the MB OEM v60s phone has actually tried to use a regular v60s phone in the phone cradle.

I also have an '04 BMW X5 with integrated phone. However, I am using my regular Verizon V60s in it and it works perfectly, all the integrated functions as per the manual. Steering controls, dash display of phonebook, etc.

BMW claims it will not work and I have to buy the $600 BMW version of the V60s !! I met someone who has the same car and is using a regular V60i, also working perfectly.

I have the voice recognition part of the system on my BMW and it works perfectly as well without the OEM phone.

I read somewhere that the MB and BMW versions of the V60s are the same and I read a post on a BMW forum where someone said that they called Motorola and the OEM division tech they spoke to said that the phones are the same So this makes it all the more intriguing.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
I've tried a cignular v60 (non MB) in my car and it worked perfectly. I think it depends a lot on what phone your car was wired for and the version of the v60 you are using. search the e-class forum there has been a lot of discussion on this topic. I believe another member also got his verizon v60 to work. GL
Old 06-23-2004, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
does your car already have the cradle??
Old 06-23-2004, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by moa4r
I've tried a cignular v60 (non MB) in my car and it worked perfectly. I think it depends a lot on what phone your car was wired for and the version of the v60 you are using. search the e-class forum there has been a lot of discussion on this topic. I believe another member also got his verizon v60 to work. GL
What phone your car was wired for? All US-spec W211 E-class are wired the same, regardless of which phone you actually put into it.

My 2003 E55 did not work with a V60 TDMA version.

-s-
Old 06-23-2004, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally posted by scorchie
What phone your car was wired for? All US-spec W211 E-class are wired the same, regardless of which phone you actually put into it.

My 2003 E55 did not work with a V60 TDMA version.

-s-
not sure, I was told by my service guy that they wire your car for whatever providor your phone is using, but of course he could be wrong... if what you are saying is true, then its probably just a matter of luck as to which phones will and will not work in your car. The one that worked in my car was the first and only v60 i tried and i think i just got lucky...
Old 06-23-2004, 05:55 PM

04 E320
If i already have the v60, do i have to pay for the phone integration service for my 211?
Old 06-23-2004, 09:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Moa4r,

What service provider do you have and what V60 do you have? Also, does your car have the cradle already installed??
Old 06-23-2004, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
The mikbox is the only way that I know of to use another v60 or other Motorola phone in the car already previously equipped for the phone system. If you go to www.mikbox.com and click on News, you will see that they are having some problems getting it to work in the W211, but that funnily enough, the Cingular v60 worked fine.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
my friend has the v60 from sprint in his 04 e500. i tried my v60 from verizon and it didnt work. it would charge my phone just couldnt make calls.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally posted by PUZZ1
Moa4r,

What service provider do you have and what V60 do you have? Also, does your car have the cradle already installed??
The v60 I tried was a friend's non-MB cingular (it is an older one ) and I use it on occasion and it works beautifully, and yes my car already had the cradle installed!!
Old 06-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Almost a Member!

not sure, I was told by my service guy that they wire your car for whatever providor your phone is using, but of course he could be wrong...
Is there a difference in the install dependant on which provider you are using ? I would assume that the speakerphone/mic & speaker and phonebook functions are the same for different v60 models and the radio is what is different based on the provider and the phone handles radio functions not the car. All the car is doing is using the handsfree and phonebook capabilities of the phone.

In my BMW there is no difference in the cars phone system dependant on the provider -- the phone itself handles that. I can use any v60 phone and it works the same. I've tried it with a GSM and CDMA v60. I assume the integrated functions are the same on the MB and BMW - phonebook, direct dial digits and the mic/speakers, SMS display (no sending) and a signal strength meter is what's on the BMW.

It's interesting that some people have had luck with non OEM phones while others haven't. I'd like to get a verizon v60s working in my MB as then I can use the same phone in both my cars. the Mikebox news page says that the w211 systme is differen and won't work with it - quote: "The current mikbox cannot be hooked up to the W211, since not only the connectors are different, but the interface is entirely different as well"
Old 06-24-2004, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally posted by mrandery
I've tried it with a GSM and CDMA v60. I assume the integrated functions are the same on the MB and BMW - phonebook, direct dial digits and the mic/speakers, SMS display (no sending) and a signal strength meter is what's on the BMW.

It's interesting that some people have had luck with non OEM phones while others haven't. I'd like to get a verizon v60s working in my MB as then I can use the same phone in both my cars. the Mikebox news page says that the w211 systme is differen and won't work with it - quote: "The current mikbox cannot be hooked up to the W211, since not only the connectors are different, but the interface is entirely different as well"
interesting that all the phones worked in the bm... no gsm v60 will ever work in the (US model) merc,,, only cdma or tdma and I believe it has to do with the wiring of at least your cradle if not the car also... it doesn't look like anyone really knows for sure!
Old 06-24-2004, 02:07 PM
Almost a Member!

... it doesn't look like anyone really knows for sure!
Looks like I'll just have to try my phone out in a 2003 W211 with the phone kit installed and see if it works!