E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

CD or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 02:51 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD or not?

Does anyone know if CD is going to be standard for the E500 in U.S.? According to the order guide in a previous post the CD changer was an option, so I was wondering if it at least is going to have a single in-dash. It seems as if the "dinosaurs" who head-up mercedes are extremely facinated with cassette decks which are completely obsolete.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:24 AM

'97 C 280, '06 ML350
here is some info that i gathered...

from an international mercedes site. as far as i know it is an option on all models.

An optional CD changer for 6 CDs is conveniently located behind the motor-powered, pivoting upper control panel in the centre dome. The CDs are both inserted and ejected individually. The CD changer is operated using the controls on the radio unit or COMAND system and all its active functions are shown on the display.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Irksome

This is something that has really bothered me... it seems the men in charge of MB seem to regard CDs as New technology which is only made available at a premium as an optional addition.

This from a company who has keyless entry, radar guided cruise control, Adaptive suspension, probably the most advanced remote/key fob in the industry and other advances of which i am sure examples are not hard to come by.

Very irritating...
Old 04-24-2002, 08:35 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A hidden disc player cool!
Old 04-24-2002, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by JamE55
A hidden disc player cool!
Cool and yet not cool... we should have had this a very long time ago.... and included in the MSRP not as an option.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:05 PM
Banned

'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
CD or no CD

I hate to bust the bubble of the CD being standard, but the info. I have gotten from MBZ is that the integrated 6-dics CD Changer will only be available with the K2b & K2c V60 phone packages. If these options are not order, you will still have to opt. for the dealer installed changer. The ordering guide is not exactly clear, but the is the way that I have understood the info. from our Rep. who orders our cars. Also, the changer maybe installed in the glovebox as in the new W209.

MarcusBenz
House of Imports, MBZ
Old 04-24-2002, 10:30 PM
Almost a Member!

MarcusBenz
Will an in-dash single CD be standard or will it still be a cassette?
Old 04-24-2002, 10:35 PM

14 'E550
Re: CD or no CD

Originally posted by MarcusBenz
I hate to bust the bubble of the CD being standard, but the info. I have gotten from MBZ is that the integrated 6-dics CD Changer will only be available with the K2b & K2c V60 phone packages. If these options are not order, you will still have to opt. for the dealer installed changer. The ordering guide is not exactly clear, but the is the way that I have understood the info. from our Rep. who orders our cars. Also, the changer maybe installed in the glovebox as in the new W209.
That is the first thing I noticed when I saw the options a little over a week ago at the dealer......thats extremely weak if you can only get the changer from the factory by ordering a $2000+ cellular phone system.

What does a CD player and phone have in common?
Old 04-24-2002, 11:17 PM

1999 Porsche 911 Carrera
I believe that the dealers have packages that contain the cell phone and the cd changer...however you can order the components separately...thats what we were able to do with the W210s.

Sean
Old 04-25-2002, 10:28 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by Silver_Lana

Cool and yet not cool... we should have had this a very long time ago.... and included in the MSRP not as an option.
If they made this not an option how do you expect for MB to make money?
Old 04-25-2002, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: CD or no CD

Originally posted by Beltfed

That is the first thing I noticed when I saw the options a little over a week ago at the dealer......thats extremely weak if you can only get the changer from the factory by ordering a $2000+ cellular phone system.

What does a CD player and phone have in common?
prewiring for voice control i guess ?
Old 04-25-2002, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350, S320, Mini Cooper S
I went to test drive an IS300 one day and it has a 6 disc CD changer as standard and I was quite impressed by that. I really hope that in the near future, MB buyers get standard CD player (at least a single CD player!!!)

Mini Cooper has that as Standard also!!! MB should have it since we are paying soooo much more.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by sorlo

Mini Cooper has that as Standard also!!! MB should have it since we are paying soooo much more.
Mini Cooper has that as standard?? Geeez what's wrong with MB??
Old 04-25-2002, 11:10 PM

Will the CD changer be standard on the E55?
Anyone want to speculate?

MB lags most every high end car maker in the world regarding standard in-dash CD players. I have to believe it's all about the $$ (options/mark up). As a tech-indulgent manufacturer, there's no other reason they should be behind the curve on this one.
Old 04-26-2002, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by JamE55

Mini Cooper has that as standard?? Geeez what's wrong with MB??
MB lost its lead on CDs years ago. Perhaps MB is waiting for the MP3s to rule...

The Mini Cooper uses CDs as tires.

JamE55:

How many miles a day does your solitary jogger run? You mentioned that she has a sister. Is this her twin?
Old 04-26-2002, 04:33 PM
Banned

I do agree that MB should have the in dash CD standard, but if you look at it from another point of view it might put you priorities in the right order. I agree that a lot of other cars have the CD standard, but do not hold a candle to MB in the safety department. So, I guess what I am trying to say it that, what is more important; walking away from an accident with no injuries that you may not even survive if you were in another make of automobile OR having to pay a little bit more at purchase time to listen to your favorite CD's?????????? I don't want to sound overly dramatic, but have you seen some of the competition WITH the CD standard after it has been in a collision? The next time you have your car in for service take a look around the bodyshop area where they are repairing the cars and see how much damage is cause and how secure that driver compartment looks, it might suprise you!

MarcusBenz
House of Imports, MBZ
Old 04-26-2002, 07:27 PM

Interesting theory, Marcus, but your line of reasoning assumes that MB has sacrificed audio technology for safety technology, that is, that with a limited amount of money to spend when developing new models, they can't attempt to be industry leaders in all areas at once.
The flaws in this line of reasoning are that 1) the R&D costs for CD technology and in dash units were paid nearly a decade ago, so no significant extra $$ required to tack this on at present;
2) numerous other safety conscious manufacturers are able to add new safety technology AND remain competitive in the audio arena.
MB may CHOOSE to ignore audio as being of secondary importance, but they could easily ramp up yo industry standard in this regard if they wanted to IMO.
In the meantime, while they continue to irk a certain percentage of their customers with their laissez-fare attitude about audio, they can pocket some extra $$ by keeping CD audio optional.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:37 PM
Banned

Point very well taken! But, the point I was trying to get across is that maybe their priorities are not in the same order as a percentage of US consumers.

MarcusBenz
House of Imports, MBZ
Old 04-29-2002, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by MarcusBenz
...... I don't want to sound overly dramatic, but have you seen some of the competition WITH the CD standard after it has been in a collision? ......

Yes i have and i have seen people walk away from those too. And guess what? CD changer came as standard equipment. :p
Old 04-29-2002, 01:34 PM

CLK55, Mini S
No CD player as standard equipment....It think the Germans feel like they are already giving us (USA buyers) so much more standard equipment than the european models that they pucker their asses at the thought of putting in a standard CD. Cheap *******s.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by hmrdwn
No CD player as standard equipment....It think the Germans feel like they are already giving us (USA buyers) so much more standard equipment than the european models that they pucker their asses at the thought of putting in a standard CD. Cheap *******s.
Hear hear!
I still cant belive you can buy a 40k+ car and still not get a CD player as part of the MSRP ??!!!
I was hoping the new E class was going to be the turning point where DC realizes they have some serious competition in the US market and adjust accordingly but apparently i was misdirected in my optimism.
Oh well ...
Old 04-30-2002, 08:58 AM

2002 E320S4
According to Automobile magazine, and from what I can deduce from pictures, the single disk slot above the screen is going to be standard. The changer in the dash comes as part of the HKardon package. So, at least we're getting technology the one, although if you can buy an Acura TL or an Avalon (great cars, please no one take offense) with those as standard, MB's policy sucks.

Also, no replies from anyone regarding availability of the 270 here in the US? Any knowledge?