E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New to Me 4matic wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e500 4matic wagon
New to Me 4matic wagon

Sorry if these pictures are huge but this is my new e500 wagon. Got it last night drove back home about 850 miles. It's got just about 81k miles on it now. Noticed a few things on the trip home which I plan to research more on this forum and others, but figure might as well attached them to my first post
1) Is that too much of a gap between the hood and bumper/ Headlights?
2) car shifted hard twice when rolling to a stop I'll check fluid levels but any other tell-tale signs to look for?
3)I assume this is normal with the electrical gas pedal but I've really gotta give it some input to get going from a stop
4) brakes make a quick sorta hum noise when the pedal is pressed driving or parked
With that being said loving the car so far got 22mpg on the way home which was way better then I was expecting car feels fairly quick might take it to the drag strip when I get all the maintenance and TLC stuff done (probably not lol but maybe)
Also I don't have a button on the drivers door to open the hatch is that normal ? Seems weird to have something like that as an option
Old 03-21-2019, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 343 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by Mk4_Tdi

Sorry if these pictures are huge but this is my new e500 wagon. Got it last night drove back home about 850 miles. It's got just about 81k miles on it now. Noticed a few things on the trip home which I plan to research more on this forum and others, but figure might as well attached them to my first post
1) Is that too much of a gap between the hood and bumper/ Headlights?
2) car shifted hard twice when rolling to a stop I'll check fluid levels but any other tell-tale signs to look for?
3)I assume this is normal with the electrical gas pedal but I've really gotta give it some input to get going from a stop
4) brakes make a quick sorta hum noise when the pedal is pressed driving or parked
With that being said loving the car so far got 22mpg on the way home which was way better then I was expecting car feels fairly quick might take it to the drag strip when I get all the maintenance and TLC stuff done (probably not lol but maybe)
Also I don't have a button on the drivers door to open the hatch is that normal ? Seems weird to have something like that as an option
1) Front bumper was likely off at some point and whoever reinstalled it didn't do it correctly. It's the telltale sign for previous front end damage although in your case it they might have also replaced the airmatic pump.
2) Your torque converter lockup solenoid is failing and will need to be replaced
3) Throttle reset
4) Your car us equipped with brake by wire SBC brakes. The sound is normal and the system is covered by a 25 year unlimited mileage warranty.

The fact that the hatch button is missing seems weird.

Last edited by tjts1; 03-21-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:05 PM

e500 4matic wagon
CarFax has no reported accidents and from what I can tell every thing is straight as far as metal goes more then likely the airmatic pump got replaced then I suppose. I'll see about adjusting the bumper this weekend.
The torque convertor lockup solenoid doesn't appear to be all that expensive so I'll have to see if I'll be able to replace that on my own.
And yeah I'm definitely scratching my head at the lack of a hatch button.
Thanks for the info btw
Old 03-21-2019, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
CarFax has no reported accidents and from what I can tell every thing is straight as far as metal goes more then likely the airmatic pump got replaced then I suppose. I'll see about adjusting the bumper this weekend.
The torque convertor lockup solenoid doesn't appear to be all that expensive so I'll have to see if I'll be able to replace that on my own.
And yeah I'm definitely scratching my head at the lack of a hatch button.
Thanks for the info btw
Do you wrench on your own cars? If you do get a foxwell NT520 for Mercedes or icarsoft MB2. The foxwell is vastly more capable but requires more patience. It's the cheap vagcom tool for Mercedes. With the foxwell for example you can shut off the lockup solenoids and see if the behavior goes away or read any stored transmission codes, live data, bi directional tests etc.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:13 PM

e500 4matic wagon
Yeah I try to do as much as possible my self. I'll look into those. Although I Will probably take it some where if I have to replace the lockup solenoids as that is looking like a bit more work the I want to do in my drive way. Coming from a VW's I know a few good German shops that shoud be able to do that no problem.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 4matic
1. There shouldn´t be a gap between front fender and bumper next to the headlight - the bumper is mounted too low.
2. One of the sprags may have flipped, a typical problem of the 722.6 trans.
3. Yes, this is sometimes embarrassing (even with 388 hp), especially when it starts in 2nd in comfort/ winter mode...
4. No idea, luckily no SBC on my facelift-model
Old 03-22-2019, 03:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Is that too much of a gap between the hood and bumper/ Headlights?
See attachment for gap values.
Attached Files
Old 03-22-2019, 05:07 PM

e500 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by konigstiger
See attachment for gap values.
Awesome! Thanks
Old 03-24-2019, 11:25 PM

2004 e320 and 99 e320 wagon
I had the same problem with the 722.6 transmission. It would jerk when coasting slowly through a parking lot or when coming to a stop. almost like a downshift. If that is your issue you will need this fix. https://www.sonnax.com/parts/2325-tcc-damper-valve-kit

The install was above my pay grade but it fixed my torque converter problems.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 4matic
Originally Posted by meooem1
https://www.sonnax.com/parts/2325-tcc-damper-valve-kit

It´s just a drop-in part - will install this and the overlap control sleeve kit on my 722.6 within the next days...
Old 03-25-2019, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
I had the same problem with the 722.6 transmission. It would jerk when coasting slowly through a parking lot or when coming to a stop. almost like a downshift. If that is your issue you will need this fix. https://www.sonnax.com/parts/2325-tcc-damper-valve-kit

That's not necessarily always the case. A failing TCC solenoid can exhibit the same behavior. I have seen a case where the Sonnax damper didn't fix the problem until a new solenoid was also installed.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:01 AM

e500 4matic wagon

How much did you wind up paying to have it done ?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:03 AM

e500 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by tjts1
That's not necessarily always the case. A failing TCC solenoid can exhibit the same behavior. I have seen a case where the Sonnax damper didn't fix the problem until a new solenoid was also installed.
I bought a foxwell code reader so it depends on what that says but more then likely I'll be replacing both parts
Old 03-25-2019, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
I bought a foxwell code reader so it depends on what that says but more then likely I'll be replacing both parts
That's the right call IMHO. TCC solenoid is $28 on fleabay, comes in a Mopar box but the part itself is MB logo and PN. I just finished this job on my 170k mile 722.6. it's really not that bad and it is so damn smooth now in every situation.
https://imgur.com/a/8X4RT75
Old 03-25-2019, 05:28 PM

e500 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by tjts1
That's the right call IMHO. TCC solenoid is $28 on fleabay, comes in a Mopar box but the part itself is MB logo and PN. I just finished this job on my 170k mile 722.6. it's really not that bad and it is so damn smooth now in every situation.
https://imgur.com/a/8X4RT75
Thanks for the images! Looks a bit intimidating so I guess that'll come down to how much my shop will charge me whether I do it or not.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:33 PM

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts
W223 S500 LWB 4-Matic, W222 S450 LWB 4-Matic, W211 E500 4-Matic Wagon
Check the base of the gas peddle. Others have stated that the plastic hinge was loose on the bottom and caused the gas peddle to be somewhat latent when pressed down quickly.

Our E500 wagon launches like a rocket whether it is comfort or sport mode when the gas peddle is mashed and drops right into first gear. Otherwise Comfort mode will always start you out in 2nd gear with light peddle pressure. MB used to call it Winter Mode so the wheels would be less likely to lose traction when starting out in the snow.& ice.