E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Mercedes quality continues to slide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nyca
that kind of stuff doesn't bother me (depending on what the problem is) - there are always initial defects, I can't think of a single car I ever owned that wasn't back at the dealer twice after delivery to fix initial quality problems. that includes Honda.

its what happens after the assembly related problems are fixed that concern me more. Either additional new problems keep cropping up, or service departments that can't actually fix a problem (whether due to their own incompetence, or lack of a proper fix from the manufacturer) - resulting in repetitive visits.
I never had to visit the dealership twice in even the first year for problems with either my old honda or lexus. Also, I bought one of the last 2004 models (you think the 2004 bugs would have been worked out already)...
Old 07-02-2004, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
truly, that is not the norm that I see. almost everyone I know has an initial quality issue. with my last Honda, the emergency brake seized a rear wheel. I would have had to have the car towed had I not jacked it myself and released the cable. 2 service visits to get it fixed. i've seen it with Toyota, VW, etc. a squeak, a rattle, bad wheel alignment, etc. its always something something small, but something.

you've been very lucky.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually got worse as compared to the last report:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...tos_quality_dc

"But Chrysler and its Dodge, Jeep and now-defunct Plymouth brands all out-ranked Mercedes, which had 327 problems per 100 vehicles, up from 318 problems in last year's survey."
How many people walk away from a Plymouth crash ?
Old 07-02-2004, 09:41 PM

2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
Luxury1. What was (were) your initial problems? I'm picking up my new E320 tomorrow! I worked yrs for this car so I don't want to be unecessarily disappointed/shocked over something that is normal. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If they switch to solid state devices that can be upgraded and are open source (yeah right) I will honestly rejoice.

That means they've given us the ability to react with the car and allow the community to update stuff!
Old 07-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,445 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by topspin4hand
I worked yrs for this car so I don't want to be unecessarily disappointed/shocked
Rest assured, you will not be disappointed on any level as far as I’m concerned. Might have to apply a fix or two but other than that – outstanding! The only issue I would be concerned with is when you actually take physical delivery having your dealer’s service dept. confirm that ALL upgrades have been applied no matter the build date – best of luck with your decision.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vraa
If they switch to solid state devices that can be upgraded and are open source (yeah right) I will honestly rejoice.

That means they've given us the ability to react with the car and allow the community to update stuff!

You can start by changing the oil and see how that goes.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Changing the oil does not allow more functionality to the car.
Being able to program say.. the ability to play .ogg or .wma in your car does.
New maps and new streets being updated whenever you want does.
Having more colors and such for your COMAND unit kinda does.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Banned

Changing the oil does not allow more functionality to the car.
Being able to program say.. the ability to play .ogg or .wma in your car does.
New maps and new streets being updated whenever you want does.
Having more colors and such for your COMAND unit kinda does.
Sure - so why hassle Mercedes over things that Mercedes has no control over. You want to whine at Becker, Bosch and Alpine.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Mercedes chooses who and what supplier they pick.

If Becker, Bosch and Alpine had large forums I'd sure as hell complain there too
Old 07-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Banned

Mercedes chooses who and what supplier they pick.

If Becker, Bosch and Alpine had large forums I'd sure as hell complain there too
What are you complaining about ? There is nothing wrong with your car ? Except that known fault with the steering system, you know, the nut behind the wheel.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Whoa, looks like I've hit a hard spot.

Just because there's nothing wrong with the car doesn't mean we should progress forward to implement new technologies.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by topspin4hand
Luxury1. What was (were) your initial problems? I'm picking up my new E320 tomorrow! I worked yrs for this car so I don't want to be unecessarily disappointed/shocked over something that is normal. Thanks.
The Check Engine light came on after 5 days. They fixed it and it came on three days later. It was fixed again so now I have to see... Don't sweat it though, the small problems are definitely worth having the car. The car is AMAZING but I just need to get the kinks worked out... I definitely wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:35 AM

truly, that is not the norm that I see. almost everyone I know has an initial quality issue. with my last Honda, the emergency brake seized a rear wheel. I would have had to have the car towed had I not jacked it myself and released the cable. 2 service visits to get it fixed. i've seen it with Toyota, VW, etc. a squeak, a rattle, bad wheel alignment, etc. its always something something small, but something.

you've been very lucky.
Guess it is sometimes just luck of the draw...