Notices
E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Is it a Deal or Dud?

 
Old 05-08-2019, 05:03 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Is it a Deal or Dud?

I'm about to walk away from buying an 04 car E320. It's a base model, 2 owner, It has been dealer maintained, no accidents, or damage reported on the car fax, and has 49K miles on it. However, over the last 8 or so years, it's been essentially sitting. The paint is "ok", there's a few dings, and scratches, the interior is looking a bit tired, and the wheels have some manner of slight oxidation around the center caps. It's pretty much a non optioned out car.. It does have a cd changer, but that's about it as far as options over base I think. It does have nav, and HK speakers, but I *think* that's standard.

The Price? $6500.

Go through or walk away?
90lxracer is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 05:08 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 824
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
C320
A car thats been sitting for 8 years hasn't been maintained for 8 years. Everything rubber and plastic in the suspension, cooling system, ignition wires, tires etc is going to be perished. Same with fluids and who knows what else. Also the leaking fuel tank hasn't been fixed and being an 04 its a toss up if the 15 year warranty still applies. I would rather buy a 149k mile 04 for $3000 and budget another $3500 for repairs as needed. The M112 engine can easily go 300k miles in fact there are a few examples on this forum. Maintenance is far more important than mileage.

walk away
tjts1 is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 05:10 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: V E G A S
Posts: 5,283
Received 477 Likes on 447 Posts
E250 BTC
Well operating car of this age is worth 1/2 the asking price.
kajtek1 is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 02:17 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 914
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2005 Mercedes w203 1.8L Sport Sedan, 2006 Mercedes CLS500
Originally Posted by 90lxracer View Post
I'm about to walk away from buying an 04 car E320. It's a base model, 2 owner, It has been dealer maintained, no accidents, or damage reported on the car fax, and has 49K miles on it. However, over the last 8 or so years, it's been essentially sitting. The paint is "ok", there's a few dings, and scratches, the interior is looking a bit tired, and the wheels have some manner of slight oxidation around the center caps. It's pretty much a non optioned out car.. It does have a cd changer, but that's about it as far as options over base I think. It does have nav, and HK speakers, but I *think* that's standard.

The Price? $6500.

Go through or walk away?
$6500? Are you nuts? Like others have mentioned that car is worth half that price at best. In order to do a valid market comparison, look on cars.com for cars with similar mileage, year, condition, sale by private owner, etc. Here is a search I did with e320s in 2004 with greater than 100K miles. Note that many are not private sellers, so dealers are going to charge higher prices. Bottom line that price for the car you mention is terrible: https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...Vehicles=false
LexBrett2 is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 05:08 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
2MERKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 683
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
A car thats been sitting for 8 years hasn't been maintained for 8 years. Everything rubber and plastic in the suspension, cooling system, ignition wires, tires etc is going to be perished. Same with fluids and who knows what else. Also the leaking fuel tank hasn't been fixed and being an 04 its a toss up if the 15 year warranty still applies. I would rather buy a 149k mile 04 for $3000 and budget another $3500 for repairs as needed. The M112 engine can easily go 300k miles in fact there are a few examples on this forum. Maintenance is far more important than mileage.

walk away
Bye bye Felicia!
2MERKS is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 07:44 AM
  #6  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Yeah... I walked. I'm now looking at a couple W210's that seem interesting.
90lxracer is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 07:46 AM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Originally Posted by LexBrett2 View Post
$6500? Are you nuts? Like others have mentioned that car is worth half that price at best. In order to do a valid market comparison, look on cars.com for cars with similar mileage, year, condition, sale by private owner, etc. Here is a search I did with e320s in 2004 with greater than 100K miles. Note that many are not private sellers, so dealers are going to charge higher prices. Bottom line that price for the car you mention is terrible: https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...Vehicles=false

I don't think you read the milage on the one I posted correctly. The one I was looking at had 49,000 on it. So the bottom of your search 100K was double the mileage on this car.
90lxracer is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 04:13 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,051
Received 202 Likes on 191 Posts
2007 E63 (currently for sale), 2001 E320 wagon, 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, 2000 Honda VFR800
Originally Posted by 90lxracer View Post
I don't think you read the milage on the one I posted correctly. The one I was looking at had 49,000 on it. So the bottom of your search 100K was double the mileage on this car.
That car has not been well maintained if it's been sitting for the last 8 years. Doesn't matter if it has low mileage, lots of issues will show up due to sitting.
Strigoi is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it a Deal or Dud?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: