No More Valet Key Function/No more key?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
No More Valet Key Function/No more key?

If MB has deleted the function of the "valet Key" is it still included inside the plastic electronic smart key? If not, how does one attach the smart key to other keys or key rings? How would a valet attach a claim tag to the smart key or hang it up on a key board?
Old 07-01-2004, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E500 4-Matic Wagon
Are you saying there's no valet key on the 05s? May I ask where you heard this?
Old 07-01-2004, 04:52 PM

2004 E500
I haven't used the valet key yet but I assumed that you used the metal insert to manually lock the glovebox and trunk and took that part of the key with you leaving the plastic housing with the valet service. Am I wrong? I have to admit that I wondered how the valet would tag or hang the plastic smartkey but decided that I would let them figure that out.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
if you were to give a valet the key now, you would give him the housing like bosox said, and you would keep your metal key, with everything attached to it. the valet cant hang it up to begin with, so it makes no difference.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:25 PM

1999 Mercedes ML430
Originally Posted by BoSoxFan
I haven't used the valet key yet but I assumed that you used the metal insert to manually lock the glovebox and trunk and took that part of the key with you leaving the plastic housing with the valet service. Am I wrong? I have to admit that I wondered how the valet would tag or hang the plastic smartkey but decided that I would let them figure that out.

You know it is funny you say MANUALLY LOCK THE GLOVEBOX because I was just thinking of how I have NEVER used a key on anything besides a car's ignition. Funny how times change...

sorry for interrupting.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:33 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by GLisella
You know it is funny you say MANUALLY LOCK THE GLOVEBOX because I was just thinking of how I have NEVER used a key on anything besides a car's ignition. Funny how times change...

sorry for interrupting.
Along those lines ... with keyless go you don't even use it on the ignition. I'm still getting used to not sticking the key in the ignition. A couple of times, I have gotten out of the car and couldn't figure out why the doors would not lock: I had forgotten to hit the keyless go off button. My ever-supportive wife gives me a weird look and cracks that I must be having a "senior moment."
Old 07-01-2004, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
I think from memory of previous threads the issue is more along the lines of how the trunk lock operates rather than the components of the key fob. I believe that you used to be able to lock the trunk with the metal key which prevented the valet from opening the trunk by using the fob. I understand that the trunk lock no longer operates that way.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:52 PM

Black/Black E : Pewter/Black G Wagen
LOL, Technology at it's best
Old 07-01-2004, 06:18 PM

'05 E500 4-Matic Wagon
Originally Posted by Fastbuck
I think from memory of previous threads the issue is more along the lines of how the trunk lock operates rather than the components of the key fob. I believe that you used to be able to lock the trunk with the metal key which prevented the valet from opening the trunk by using the fob. I understand that the trunk lock no longer operates that way.
But the glove box should still be lockable with the metal key, if there still is a metal key in the Smart Key. Does anyone know if the Smart Key in 05 is different?
Old 07-01-2004, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Confusion, Confusion

The trunk's deadbolt feature (when activated by using the metal key housed within the black smart key housing, which on my Dec '04 delivered car WILL keep someone without the metal key from being able to open the trunk by not permitting you to squeeze the trunk release handle) had been deleted on late '04's. Turning the key in the "trunk lock cylender" did nothing, it just turned 1/4 turn, so the valet "lock out feature" wasn't there anymore. I figured that since it wasn't there any more they wouldn't need the little metal valet key...

HOWEVER, I forgot about the glove box lock...(having NEVER in my life felt locking a plastic door protecting a cardboard tissue box like structure was necessary, since one could reach under the dash & pull the cardboard glove box out & down in a nano second & run away with the CD collection...

So the little valet key really remains just a keychain ring hole. But it IS cute!

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 07-01-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
I attached razor blades to the valet key and now use it as a switchblade style knife when I walk around on the streets.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:27 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
The trunk's deadbolt feature (when activated by using the metal key housed within the black smart key housing, which on my Dec '04 delivered car WILL keep someone without the metal key from being able to open the trunk by not permitting you to squeeze the trunk release handle) had been deleted on late '04's. Turning the key in the "trunk lock cylender" did nothing, it just turned 1/4 turn, so the valet "lock out feature" wasn't there anymore. I figured that since it wasn't there any more they wouldn't need the little metal valet key...

HOWEVER, I forgot about the glove box lock...(having NEVER in my life felt locking a plastic door protecting a cardboard tissue box like structure was necessary, since one could reach under the dash & pull the cardboard glove box out & down in a nano second & run away with the CD collection...

So the little valet key really remains just a keychain ring hole. But it IS cute!
These comments got me curious so I played around with it tonight. As Barry45rpm stated, it will lock the glovebox for whatever that's worth. For my late '04 E (Apr '04 build date), it does nothing to lock the trunk except make you feel good when it turns. It will lock a front door but none of the other doors will lock. Maybe there is some way to use the central locking button inside the car to lock all the doors, then open only the drivers door, and then use the metal key to lock the drivers door. Why would you want to do that -- you'll hear in a minute. If the car is locked and the keyless go smart key is moved out of range, the metal insert will open the trunk and a front door -- setting off the alarm when either trunk or door is opened. So, the only thing I can figure is that IF the car is locked AND the smart key battery is dead AND you don't have a phone to call Teleaid, you can use the metal key to open the car so you can remove your luggage or call Teleaid. I didn't see any way to use the metal key to start the car and I don't know if a dead smart key will start it but perhaps the Teleaid operator can start it. But you would at least be able to get in the car and use Teleaid to get help. That's a pretty unlikely chain of events but I guess the thing can be used for more than a keychain attachment.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:48 AM
Almost a Member!

E320
The metal key sure came in handy when my car's electronic system died (along with the battery) and I couldn't open any doors with the smart key. So, I think MB will keep those little metal keys for backup even if you can't lock the trunk with them.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM

Does it not serve as the only source of entry to the vehicle if the battery fails?
Old 07-02-2004, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
So, the only thing I can figure is that IF the car is locked AND the smart key battery is dead AND you don't have a phone to call Teleaid, you can use the metal key to open the car so you can remove your luggage or call Teleaid. I didn't see any way to use the metal key to start the car and I don't know if a dead smart key will start it but perhaps the Teleaid operator can start it. But you would at least be able to get in the car and use Teleaid to get help. That's a pretty unlikely chain of events but I guess the thing can be used for more than a keychain attachment.
Well, as pointed out here by the others... if the remote doesn't work (because the remote is inop or because the car electronics are inop) then the key will get you in the car.

If you're not in the car, I would definitely give you props if you could get the phone number for TeleAid.

And, I don't subscribe to it on my E55, I am even contemplating ripping all of that stuff out.

But being able to get into the car itself or even the trunk is useful to me. I would hate to be locked out of those even if the car were not driveable.

-s-
Old 07-02-2004, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by scorchie

But being able to get into the car itself or even the trunk is useful to me. I would hate to be locked out of those even if the car were not driveable.-s-
Might be useful to get into the trunk too if you wanted to recharge the flat battery.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:37 AM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Talking

The little steel key is still good for helping leverage up the pop lid on a soda can if it's stubborn.......
Old 07-02-2004, 08:47 AM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
Exclamation

what I do is I keep the othere smartkey in the trunk and the metal key from it in my wallet in case I lose the smart key, that way I'll never get stranded if the original smart key is lost
Old 07-02-2004, 09:24 AM

2004 E500
My little test showed that it will open the trunk or door. It's good to know that it will open even with a dead car battery or electronics. Even Teleaid won't do you much good if the battery is dead except to dispatch a tow truck.

My dealer gave me a little key chain thingey with the Teleaid 800 number engraved for each smart key. I also programmed the number into my cell phone.

Kort677 -- I thought that it wouldn't let you lock the vehicle if the smartkey was inside the car. I guess that's not the case?
Old 07-02-2004, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
In the US 1.800.367.6372 will get you thru to Teleaid...I bet 1.800.4AMercedes would eventually get you patched through too. ...Keep those little metal keys!
Old 07-02-2004, 10:43 AM

2004 E500
That's funny. The number I have is 800-756-9018. I wonder if they give out different numbers at different sale dates or locations.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fastbuck
Might be useful to get into the trunk too if you wanted to recharge the flat battery.
You can trickle charge the battery through the lighter socket inside the car... if you're not in a hurry, it's a lot easier than removing trunk panels!

-s-
Old 07-02-2004, 02:26 PM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
Kort677 -- I thought that it wouldn't let you lock the vehicle if the smartkey was inside the car. I guess that's not the case?
I don't know know if you can lock the smartkey in, but like a good scout, I thought I'd be prepared for anything
Old 07-02-2004, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
You cannot lock the smartkey in the car if, and only if you have Keyless Go. Same applies to the trunk.

I think I remember a thread a long time ago concerning trickle chargers, and it is possible that it does something bad to the BCM.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alewifebp
You cannot lock the smartkey in the car if, and only if you have Keyless Go. Same applies to the trunk.

I think I remember a thread a long time ago concerning trickle chargers, and it is possible that it does something bad to the BCM.
That's correct, however, the W211 has a procedure to follow in case the battery has been charged while connected (called an "exceptional circumstance"). It involves resetting the BCM so that it knows the battery was charged by doing an "end run" around it.

The W203 should not be connected to a charging battery in any instance, a quiescent current device should be connected, the battery disconnected, then charged.

(sorry for reviving a dead thread.)

-s-

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No More Valet Key Function/No more key?