E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

04 E55 AMG Mercedes changed fuel pump module now car tries to die if I give iit gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG MERCEDES
04 E55 AMG Mercedes changed fuel pump module now car tries to die if I give iit gas

Okay guys have a greatly appreciate any help I can get from anybody here . I have a 2004 E55 AMG Mercedes that sat for about two months because I lost a part to the fuel level sender unit. I finally got it all back together. I did put new fuel pumps and a new fuel level sending unit with new filter and everything. Also a new pigtail for the wiring harness. All of it. Anyhow I got it all back together tried to start it, it took about 7 times turning it over before it finally started. It acted like it wanted to start but wouldn't. Once it did finally start it would only run for a few seconds then die. Kind of sounding as if I was on the throttle then off and on and off DEAD ect... but I was not hitting the gas at all, then It would die. After that It started to run smoothly at idle, but once I tried to drive it, if I gave it more than 1/4 throttle it would want to try and die/stumble kind of acting as if somebody was covering the air intake tcompletely then pulling their hand off once I let off. So I drove it VERY ridiculously easily for over 30 miles and I could get it up to highway speed it just wouldn't go. If I gave it more than 1/4 throttle if it down shifted it would stumble as if I gave it more than 1/4 throttle. At all it would act like it wanted to die does anybody have any suggestions as to what this might be. There other problem might be it's not throwing any check engine codes or anyting. That's the part that is confusing me, no check engine my dash Command is saying that everything is A-Okay but it does not want to run right at all. Please help! Thank you!
Old 06-25-2019, 08:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'06 E55
Sounds like low fuel pressure. Check fuel rail pressure and since they are new pumps, kink hoses in the tank. You may also want to move this to the AMG w211 section, not here.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1970gsx
Sounds like low fuel pressure. Check fuel rail pressure and since they are new pumps, kink hoses in the tank. You may also want to move this to the AMG w211 section, not here.

Well thanx you for the advise how do I go about moving it? Would I just copy and paste it to the other forum and erase this thread all together?

My apologies for any inconvenience.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 772 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Hustlinkaos
Well thanx you for the advise how do I go about moving it? Would I just copy and paste it to the other forum and erase this thread all together?

My apologies for any inconvenience.
You are going to have to step through this literally one step at a time.
-Put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail. Tape it to the windshield. Take notes.
-Possible causes:
---One of the two fuel lines popped off of one of the fuel pumps. You'll have to open the tank to confirm. Two bars or less on the fuel gauge or fuel will spill into the passenger compartment.
---Pull the panel on the passenger side of your trunk and inspect the fuel pump relay and socket. Replace the relay even if it looks good.
---Pull the rear seat, pull the access cover, pull the connector, ensure the contacts molded into the plastic lid are not melted. If yes, replace.
---If the fuel tank is open, verify the return lines from the filter/regulator still feed the passenger side of the fuel tank.

Remember, 78-82 psi at idle. A few pounds less at full throttle and maximum rpms; if pressure drops into the 40's or 50's, one pump is not running or is wired backwards. It is always possible you received a bad set of fuel pumps.

If fuel checks out okay, start looking for an air leak in the intake system. At the same time, scan the car to see if a digital sensor/module failed (e.g. the pedal sensor). Unlikely but I literally had a manual clutch function in the morning and fail at the dealership a couple of hours later. I ripped into the service manager about his mechanic trying to rip me off and ended up buying two boxes of donuts for the mechanics because the clutch literally failed between the time I dropped it off and went to pick it up. I know this because I was so pissed off I had the car towed home and pulled the transmission myself...oops. My bad. How about some donuts for your mechanics and a sincere apology?

Good luck and let us know what you find.

EDIT: PM a moderator and they can move the thread for you.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 06-25-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by bbirdwell
-Possible causes:
---One of the two fuel lines popped off of one of the fuel pumps. You'll have to open the tank to confirm. Two bars or less on the fuel gauge or fuel will spill into the passenger compartment.
---Pull the panel on the passenger side of your trunk and inspect the fuel pump relay and socket. Replace the relay even if it looks good.
---Pull the rear seat, pull the access cover, pull the connector, ensure the contacts molded into the plastic lid are not melted. If yes, replace.
---If the fuel tank is open, verify the return lines from the filter/regulator still feed the passenger side of the fuel tank.

Remember, 78-82 psi at idle. A few pounds less at full throttle and maximum rpms; if pressure drops into the 40's or 50's, one pump is not running or is wired backwards. It is always possible you received a bad set of fuel pumps.

If fuel checks out okay, start looking for an air leak in the intake system. At the same time, scan the car to see if a digital sensor/module failed (e.g. the pedal sensor). Unlikely but I literally had a manual clutch function in the morning and fail at the dealership a couple of hours later. I ripped into the service manager about his mechanic trying to rip me off and ended up buying two boxes of donuts for the mechanics because the clutch literally failed between the time I dropped it off and went to pick it up. I know this because I was so pissed off I had the car towed home and pulled the transmission myself...oops. My bad. How about some donuts for your mechanics and a sincere apology?

Thank you for the advice Birdwell, I'll get right on that. Just picked up the fuel pressure test kit, so I should be able to complete that shortly and get back to everybody with what I have found.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:10 PM

Thanx to my brother birdwell

Originally Posted by bbirdwell
-Possible causes:

Thanks brother Birdwell for all the help. I did a fuel pressure test and it turned out to be the pigtail that they sold me an AutoZone was wrong and had one pump hooked up correctly, the other one was hooked up backwards so I only have one fuel pump running.

That now I have a completely different problem and I know that I am just making myself look like a huge idiot but you seem to be a very knowledgeable person when it comes to these cars, so I figured I'd ask for your help. The other day I messed with the secret climate control menu, i changed one of the values in the menu on accident and I'm not sure which one it was.

But now my cooling fan is not coming on so I'm guessing it has to do with me messing with the secret menu.... the fan was running fine before , now it's not. is there any way you can save the day again...

Thanx for everything