Leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Leaking coolant

Hello all,

Wish i was here to give advice but i seem to be off to a bad start.

2005 e320 cdi. Roughly 280k(174k miles). Water pump was replaced by previous owner(my dad did it.) Got a light on the dash saying check coolant level. Checked level and it seem to be a bit on the low side but topped it up under the assumption when the water pump was replaced, it just didnt get topped up fully. Drove to work and saw a bit of smoke coming out from underneith the hood. Opened the hood and noticed the level went down on the expansion tank. No obvious sings of coolant leak. Looked around the water pump area and didnt notice any leak there. Took engine covers off and it seems to be coming from somewhere near the two braided hoses by the oil filter housing. Ive attached a picture of the area. Small traces of coolant below the oil filter housing.

Now my question is, does anyone have a picture of the routing of the coolant lines for these vehicles?

What else would be in that area that could cause this issue? Perhaps headgasket?

Thanks,

Dario
Old 07-23-2019, 06:40 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,056 Likes on 977 Posts
1999 E300TD
Yes,visit MB WIS
Old 07-24-2019, 07:39 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Northerngti
Hello all,

Wish i was here to give advice but i seem to be off to a bad start.

2005 e320 cdi. Roughly 280k(174k miles). Water pump was replaced by previous owner(my dad did it.) Got a light on the dash saying check coolant level. Checked level and it seem to be a bit on the low side but topped it up under the assumption when the water pump was replaced, it just didnt get topped up fully. Drove to work and saw a bit of smoke coming out from underneith the hood. Opened the hood and noticed the level went down on the expansion tank. No obvious sings of coolant leak. Looked around the water pump area and didnt notice any leak there. Took engine covers off and it seems to be coming from somewhere near the two braided hoses by the oil filter housing. Ive attached a picture of the area. Small traces of coolant below the oil filter housing.

Now my question is, does anyone have a picture of the routing of the coolant lines for these vehicles?

What else would be in that area that could cause this issue? Perhaps headgasket?

Thanks,

Dario
Looks like a spray pattern coming off the belt, so who actually performed the water pump replacement and who is the manufacturer of the pump? How many miles on the pump? I would pull the belt off and feel the pump pulley for slop.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by ot1
Looks like a spray pattern coming off the belt, so who actually performed the water pump replacement and who is the manufacturer of the pump? How many miles on the pump? I would pull the belt off and feel the pump pulley for slop.

That was from the water pump itself. Turns out, I am a total idiot and didnt check fully prior to posting. Hose clamp gave out. Replaced clamp. No more leak.

Sorry for wasting yours and everyones time.

- Dario