E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Hit pothole with front driver side tire. Now it's leaning inward at the top.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 4MATIC Sedan
Hit pothole with front driver side tire. Now it's leaning inward at the top.

Hola everyone,

On December 31, 2018 at 7:34 pm I was driving peacefully at +/- 70 mph when suddenly a pothole tried to cross the road making me collide into it with my front driver side tire. Ever since it happened, the tire has been leaning inward at the top by about an inch or so. The rim bent on the inner side but I fixed it at my buddies shop.

I have taken my car to three different car shops to see who can tell me what is causing the tire to be like that. They all come up with different answers and I don't really know what to believe because I'm confused.
At the Mercedes dealer I was told that the problem is being caused by the rear driver side coil spring. They said that the spring is shot and it is pulling the car down and back ( I hope that makes sense to you) and that that is why the front tire looks like it does now.
I don't really think that is true because when I lift the car using a car lift and the wheels are hanging free in the air; the damaged tire still leans inward at the top.

I have not replaced any parts because I don't even know what needs to be replaced and really nobody can tell what the solution is!!!! Nothing seems broken, nothing is loose, nothing rattles. All the parts look fine I guess but obviously there is something I'm not seeing.
Is it just an alignment issue or what do you guys think is bent or broken? Sometimes I think that the knuckle is bent or that even the anti-roll bar is twisted.

Please, if any of you has had a similar problem or have an idea that I need to try please let me know. Help me solve this 8 month old mistery!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to read and for your help!

2008 MB E350 4 MATIC - Sport Package - No air suspension

Old 08-14-2019, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 695 Likes on 507 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
google "characteristics of front end alignment". Take a look at the images, read all you want to. Then you'll know who to believe at the alignment shops. Knowledge is power!

Oh, and quit driving on that tire. When it goes the car won't handle quite the same and I don't care to have you anywhere near when it happens.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:14 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Why dont you take it to an alignment shop, that has a Hunter Code Link machine, they can tell you whats bent, they dont charge to put it on a rack and look. Must might have more than part bent, how many miles? Have you replaced ball joints yet?
Old 08-16-2019, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Steering Knuckle is probably bent.

measure distance from the edge of the tire to where the top of the steering knuckle is. My bet is that side is different than the other.

I had same issue on my E350 4matic from PO.