E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help! Random electrical gremlins in key, alarm & tailgate.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Help! Random electrical gremlins in key, alarm & tailgate.

Hope someone can help with ideas to deal with a suddenly appearing series of issues. 2004 E500 W211 4matic wagon. Has been in storage for months and started using it again a few weeks ago. Battery was replaced at that time - so only a few weeks old

A few days ago the alarm randomly started triggering. Coming out to the car at the end of the day sometimes the battery would be completely dead and other times the lights would be flashing but no audible alarm. There was also an intermittent dash warning of low battery in the key fob. Replaced the fob batteries today.

Now - the tailgate randomly opens. I lock the car and within a few minutes the tailgate opens. Sometimes it opens completely in one smooth motion. Sometimes it steps itself up about six inches at a time until it’s completely open. Once open - the tailgate lift motor continues to run.

And ... on top of all this ... there is a beeper inside the car that is beeping a warning when the car is off and the drivers door is open. It’s like a warning that the headlights are on - but they aren’t.

The only solution I found was to disconnect the battery and lock the car manually. Now wishing I had sold it instead of putting it in storage and dealing with these issues now.

Anyone have ave any ideas? Thoughts?

Before suggesting that the tailgate opening is from an accidental pushing if the fob button - know that I have two fobs and the issue has persisted with batteries removed from both fobs. I’ve also checked the charging system and the battery is charging fine.

thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old 09-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by res94025
A few days ago the alarm randomly started triggering. Coming out to the car at the end of the day sometimes the battery would be completely dead and other times the lights would be flashing but no audible alarm.
Alarm siren incorporates an internal, non-replaceable battery possibly unit needs replacement. If so, here are compatible part #s.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
siren.pdf (68.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: pdf
Fender lining.pdf (107.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-28-2020, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500 4matic Wagon
Same issues

Originally Posted by res94025
Hope someone can help with ideas to deal with a suddenly appearing series of issues. 2004 E500 W211 4matic wagon. Has been in storage for months and started using it again a few weeks ago. Battery was replaced at that time - so only a few weeks old

A few days ago the alarm randomly started triggering. Coming out to the car at the end of the day sometimes the battery would be completely dead and other times the lights would be flashing but no audible alarm. There was also an intermittent dash warning of low battery in the key fob. Replaced the fob batteries today.

Now - the tailgate randomly opens. I lock the car and within a few minutes the tailgate opens. Sometimes it opens completely in one smooth motion. Sometimes it steps itself up about six inches at a time until it’s completely open. Once open - the tailgate lift motor continues to run.

And ... on top of all this ... there is a beeper inside the car that is beeping a warning when the car is off and the drivers door is open. It’s like a warning that the headlights are on - but they aren’t.

The only solution I found was to disconnect the battery and lock the car manually. Now wishing I had sold it instead of putting it in storage and dealing with these issues now.

Anyone have ave any ideas? Thoughts?

Before suggesting that the tailgate opening is from an accidental pushing if the fob button - know that I have tw
o fobs and the issue has persisted with batteries removed from both fobs. I’ve also checked the charging system and the battery is charging fine.
thanks in advance for your thoughts!
I have similar issues, except with the tailgate wiper. I leave mine unlocked or it goes nuts. Did you figure it out?