Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350
W211 check engine

2006 E350 W211. 105,000 miles

Check engine light came on.
Codes P0031 (HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low - Bank 1, Sensor 1) and P0051(HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low - Bank 2, Sensor 1) and P2006 (Intake Manifold Control Runner Stuck Closed Bank 1). All came on together. Both are showing twice when OBD codes are checked. Tried as best I could to see if any of the inlet manifold linkages were broken. Within the limited area for viewing I cannot see anything broken. Pushing the levers results in sounds from the manifold that I am presuming is the intake drums moving. Tired resetting the codes (we all live in hope) but they came back. All four O2 sensors (upstream and downstream on both banks) were replaced about 5,000 miles ago (Bosch units used) to succesfully eliminate O2 and misfire codes.
Engine runs fine. Fuel consumption is as usual.
I find ir odd that all three codes came together and that the manifold alarm is for one side but the Heater alarms are for both. I am aware that the sensors are heated for quick response but again find it odd that both would develop the same fault together. I suspect that there is something common causing the alarms. I have seen folks talk about low voltage but the descriptions of how to check are quite vague. I understand the car has two batteries but I am not getting a warning for either one. In the past I have had warnings for low convenience features because of low battery when the car has stood for a while, but I have not seen that for a while.

Does anyone have any ideas
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:21 AM

2006 E350
Good day folks. As there have been no responses I am assuming I have an unusual problem. I have seen a bunch of videos where people use a diagnostic tool that can be used to test the functionality of the suspect parts (such as the vacuum actuators for the intake manifold. I have a simple OBD reader only.
Does anyone know:
1. What kind of tool it is and where I can get one
2. Of a shop in the Houston area that might be able to diagnose my problem.

Sorry about the vague description of the tool.

I also read on a blog here that the Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Closed code P2006 will not cause the check engine light to come on. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Contact MBENZTECH (TX independent): https://mbworld.org/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=48997

Old 10-01-2019, 04:20 PM

Received 238 Likes on 164 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
The intake manifold will NOT turn your check engine light on. CEL on due to O2 sensor malfunction. That's odd that the codes are only for right side of engine. Check your PM
Old 10-01-2019, 04:50 PM

2006 E350
Thanks for response
Codes for heater control circuit low are for bank 1 (P0031) and bank 2 (P0051) not just for right side. Both O2 sensors are quite new. I could change them again but as car seems to be running OK with no starting problems, no smoke and good mileage it makes me wonder if they are the problem. Both of them coming on (going bad) at once is also odd. They were not changed at the same time. I replaced the originals at around 100K miles for right bank and 102K miles for left bank. I am wondering if there is a fuse or a relay somewhere that has gone bad causing low voltage. I pulled the connectors to both and checked the wiring from the connector to the O2 sensors and they do not have any obvious faults.
Sorry but I do not know what PM is. Excuse my ignorance. I appreciate any guidance or advice that you can provide.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Terrymobil
Sorry but I do not know what PM is.
He already responded. PM = private message, click on member’s name for menu and choose “Send a private message to…”