E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

P2004 / 0521 but no CEL or symptoms. Alternative?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 E350
P2004 / 0521 but no CEL or symptoms. Alternative?

Hey everyone,

I know this has been covered, but I'm a little confused about something. I just bought a 2009 E350 with 85,000 miles. Car had no CEL, and the pre-purchase inspection didn't yield any codes. I get the car, and I scan it with my iCarsoft, and I see P2004 / 0521 for the swirl flap issue. The thing is, I have no CEL, the car idles great, power is all there, and fuel economy is about average (not as if it's good on this car anyway).

My question is, is it possible that this could be caused by something else? I guess I'm just not sure how it can be current and stored and yet not trigger the CEL or show any symptoms. Any other issue that could trigger this?
Also, is there any way to determine if I could use one of those kits to upgrade the plastic piece to aluminum, rather than replace the whole manifold? I heard that you could do a visual inspection of seeing if the rocker arm would move on it's own before taking the manifold off. Regardless of anything, I obviously won't be having a dealer do this, and I absolutely do not have the time to tackle this myself now a days, especially after a move.

Which leads me to the next point. Anyone know any good mercedes mechanics in or around Little Rock, Arkansas?