E320 CDI Featured as Luxury Car "More Car, Less Gas"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
E320 CDI Featured as Luxury Car "More Car, Less Gas"

"This is the same E-Class sedan that's among the best luxury cars in its class. Here, it's driven by a turbocharged diesel engine.

Benz last offered a diesel here in 1999. Mercedes has since made a technical leap to modern "clean diesels," Sophisticated electronic fuel injection makes them vastly quieter and cleaner than the smelly, clattering diesels of the past.

The CDI's 3.2-liter inline six-cylinder is the smoothest-idling diesel I've tested. And in sharp contrast to squirrel-powered hybrids, the Benz diesel is actually faster than the V-6 gasoline version.

The engine adds just $1,000 to the E-Class' base price. And with diesel fuel costing an average 30¢ less per gallon than gasoline, the Benz keeps that much more money in your pocket.

Until cleaner, low-sulfur diesel fuel arrives in late 2006, the Mercedes is available in only 45 states Also, Mercedes will ship only 3,000 of these thrifty sedans this year-and no wagons."

http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/13/pf/a...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Old 07-15-2004, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
please dont laugh at me, but i never knew that the diesel was turbocharged!! thats pretty cool that a turbo car can get that type of mileage!!
Old 07-16-2004, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDI Elegance auto
Originally Posted by bmms8
please dont laugh at me, but i never knew that the diesel was turbocharged!! thats pretty cool that a turbo car can get that type of mileage!!
LOL, you should try one and you will see.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Talking Turbocharging.

Originally Posted by bmms8
No one here will ever laugh at you because you do not or did not know something.
That's what we are all here for, to learn and share information with each other.

The turbo is one of many reasons that the newer CDIs (Common rail Direct Injection) diesels do so well. In the case of my older '99 E-300 TD, I figure that the turbo is responsible for an additional 90 ft/lb torque and almost 50 hp. The additional 200 cc of piston displacement in the newer 320 CDI along with doing away with the pre-combustion chambers and going to direct injection plus the much higher pressures of the common rail set up have added only 27 hp from the previous model, but an additional 129 ft/lbs TORGUE. And that's where its at!

With a claimed 369 ft/lb torque, that IS 30 ft/lb more than the E-500 V8 gasser. So in your everyday "normal" driving, the E-320 CDI diesel will actually perform better under almost all circumstances and deliver much better fuel economy on usually less expensive diesel fuel.

Try it, you'll Like it!

Old 07-18-2004, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl 500
my brother, just placed an order for his BMW X5 diesel model . i test drove it , could not really tell the difference between that an the 3 litre model. alot cheaper to buy, run and better low end torque (ie for city . low speed driving).

i think diesel is possibly going to be more popular and more wider choice range will be available