Weird tick when going over speed humps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
Weird tick when going over speed humps

Hi all,

I know there are a few posts about suspension noises, but I'm at a lose with my issues, so maybe someone has an idea what it could be.

So I've had the entire suspension replaced over the last 3.5 years. Originally I replaced the lower ball joints, lower control arms, thrust arms, stabilizer links and inner/outer tie rods. After that replacement, I still had this clicking/somewhat crunching noise when i slowly backup and came to a stop, and when going over speed humps. So the last few weeks I replaced the upper control arms/ball joints and both front shocks. The noise from backing up is gone, however, I still have this weird clicking as I first hit the speed hump and when I come off of the hump. The noise appears to come from both sides and it seems to happen when the front of the car suddenly drops or is raised.

I'm really at a loss at this point trying to figure out what it is. Does anyone have a course of action I can take to figure out what it could be?
Old 10-02-2019, 08:03 PM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
05 W211 E500, 03 C215 CL55 AMG
Have you sprayed around with lubricant to see if the noise changes?

Also, check the subframe bushings.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:03 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
All nuts have been torqued to spec?

I had a situation where the replacement lower control arm (the arm that attaches to the strut, part # 2113308207) was defective and giving a noise every time I went over a speed bump. The rubber bushing on the control arm that connects to the strut was moving inside the control arm. That was making a noise and was very difficult to find. I also ended up replacing just about everything on the front suspension. As I had already replaced the lower control arm I did not think it would be the problem. I sprayed wd-40 around that bushing and packed grease around it to see if the noise would go away. It did temporarily and therefore it confirmed the bushing was bad. I suspect that when I had the strut replaced, the mechanic damaged the lower control arm bushing when trying to get the strut to fit in its proper place. As I had the airmatic air spring, it would not compress like a conventional hydraulic strut.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:54 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
06 E320 CDI, rear drive, non airmatic. I had a similar speed bump noise, I had replaced all the ball joints, arms, struts, and during the process I had loosened the top bolt on the links, retightened it but did not have a 12mm allen that would fit behind the strut to grab the head of the bolt, i thought I got the bolt tight enough nevertheless. As weeks went by the noise became more pronounced. There is a million speed bumps where I lived, so it was really annoying. First it was only coming from the left side, then weeks went by and then the right started clunking, turning from a click to a clunk, after a couple of months, i was convinced the new struts were the culprit. Taking a dead blow hammer I started beating on suspension parts, and finally realized those bolts were loose after hitting the sway bar. I bought a 12mm allen L shaped wrench and cut down the short end so it cleared the strut. Those bolts had become pretty loose.

Last edited by ot1; 10-03-2019 at 09:58 AM.