09 E350 Sport W211 Front ABS and Bearings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
09 E350 Sport W211 Front ABS and Bearings

Hello:
I just wanted to post in case this helps someone else. I recently had to replace the front bearing on my 09 E350 Sport W211. Changing the bearings also means changing the inner Wheel Seals.

The inner wheel seals have thick plastic coating on their inner most surface(closest to the engine) that actually has the ABS reluctor ring inside of it. I accidentally damaged this plastic ring when installing as I put the hub/rotor on and then spun it, but because there is only one bolt that holds the rotor to the bearing hub, it rubbed on the ABS sensor and damaged it. I didn't think anything of it because until I started the car and drove away an the brake pedal vibrated and then the ABS light when on and the ABS system disabled itself. Unbeknown to me, this also causes a problem with the Navigation system!

The first set of seals I bought were National. I thought, oh I damaged those and will get another set and put them in...I did, and ABS still did not like them. I bought the Icarsoft computer and turned cleared the ABS code...still no go.

I finally bought FEBI seals, installed them...then need to be perfectly flush with the highest point on the hubs inner most surface. When I say innermost, I mean the surface closest to the engine and not the most recessed point. When doing the job, also put a wheel stud in opposite the bolt that holds the rotor to the hub to keep it flush to the bearing hub.

I read the codes from the second set of National seals and they said "distance to ABS sensor incorrect" or something similar...I cleared the codes and with the new FEBI seals it worked great, and the NAVIGATION system is once again operational.

Thought I'd post, as this was a wacky problem. I don't work or support or sell any car products so this isn't an add for FEBI or Icarsoft but their products did work great and solve my problems.

Milkman
Old 11-04-2019, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
It's a known problem. Maybe Febi is the the OEM maker. Lots of times people report this problem and say that only the MB products fixed it, the aftermarket wasn't any good.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:07 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
fleet
how did you handle this repair? Did you have replacement hub assembly? what signs and symptoms did you experience that led you to believe its a bad wheel bearing?
Old 11-08-2019, 12:18 PM

E350
The bearings were so bad that I got a lot of pulsing during breaking and the wheel actually wobbled when I had it jacked up and I grabbed the top and bottom and tried to rock it in and out.

I did not get the whole hubs, just bearing. I think I got timken, but the National seals didn't work...I thought it was because I'd damaged the one on the first attempt, but the second pair same thing and it said "distance too far" or something like that.

Incidentally I got the Febi's at Napa Auto Parts. They were listed as "Altrom" product line. Not sure if I can give a part number on here, but it was ATM 0259971647 and they were 15.49each. When the guy brought the two boxes out, they were FEBI boxes...I was very relieved. I had ordered the original mfg seals and the company I ordered from messed around with the shipment I had to cancel as I had a road trip to go on and I wanted the car fixed.

The NAV working after it was was fixed was kind of boggling as well.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:20 PM

E350
I just noticed...you're vehicle is a 4 matic. I think that they have different bearings than the 2 wheel drive...I think you have sealed/pressed and mine were tapered roller bearings. Two different animals.