E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2008 E350 Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 04:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E320 CDI,
2008 E350 Wagon

I am looking at a potential purchase of a 2008 E350 station wagon.
It has the all wheel drive, pano roof, 5 speed trans. No airmatic.
Wondering if anyone in Benz World can provide input on issues to look for with this year and model.
Thanks to all in advance for any input.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,174 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Use the vin decoder to make sure it doesn't have airmatic in the rear. Station wagons in the US had airmatic for the rear suspension.

https://www.lastvin.com/
Old 11-11-2019, 07:33 PM

2005 E320 CDI,
Thought I would post this, but as far as I can tell, the decoder doesn't show the Airmatic option, unless it is included in one of the equipment packages, (942, 955)?
Looked online but haven't yet found what the option code is for the rear suspension.
Maybe someone can provide info.

Model Year 2008
Model E 350 4MATIC
Engine 272 30 715795
Transmission 722676 07 068600
Order Number 0 8 701 30217
Order Location CANADA

Interior AMARETTA/LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BLACK/ANTH. (821A)
Paint 1 CUBANITE SILVER - METALIC (723U)
Release Date 2007-08-03
Delivery Date 2007-08-03
Code Description

047 CONTROL-CODE USA
212B OP. INSTRUCT. AND MAINT. BOOKLET-ENGL. FOR USA/CAN
213 SPEED-SENSITIVE POWER STEERING/VARIO STEERING
232 GARAGE DOOR OPENER WITH 284 - 390 MHZ FREQUENCY
242 FRONT SEAT RH ELECTRIC ADJUSTABLE WITH MEMORY
249 INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MIRROR AUTOMATIC DIMMING
264 LICENSE PLATE ATTACHMENT AMERICA
265 LINES-NO.PLATE DISCONTINUED
275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
280 LEATHER STEERING WHEEL AND LEATHER GEAR SHIFT KNOB
282 SKI-BAG
285B AIRBAG LABEL - ENGLISH / FRENCH FOR CANADA
287 THROUGH-LOADING FEATURE
297 SUN BLIND IN REAR DOORS LH AND RH
301 ASHTRAY PACKAGE
309 CUP HOLDER
359 LOW COST TELEAID USA
389 MOBILE PRE.-INSTALLATION (MTUS) USA/CANADA COMPL.
414 ELECTRIC TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF IN GLASS VERSION
423 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
443 HEATED STEERING WHEEL
460 KANADA-AUSFUEHRUNG / ZUSATZTEILE
477 TIRE PRESSURE LOSS WARNER
494 U.S. VERSION
524 PRODUCT PROT. F.PAINT - TRANSPORT VEH.PRESERVATION
530 COMAND DVD APS USA WITH NAVIGATION
536 "SIRIUS" SATELLITE RADIO COMPLETE SYSTEM
543 SUN VISOR WITH MAKE-UP MIRROR L. AND R., BE-
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
573 CHILD SEAT MOUNTING, ISOFIX IN REAR
580 AIR CONDITIONER
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
615 BI-XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT RIGHT-DRIVE
619 CORNERING ILLUMINATION
634 DELETION - FIRST AID KIT
636 DELETION - WARNING TRIANGLE
668 PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W/ TIE-DOWN HOOKS
673 HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
690 EMERGENCY SPARE TIRE (MINI SPARE)
701L CANADA
723U CUBANITE SILVER - METALIC

731 WOOD TRIM BURRED WALNUT ROOT
763 RADIO REMOTE CONTROL W/ PANIC SWITCH (315 MHZ)
7XXL NORTH AND SOUTH AMERICA
807 AEJ 06/1/M/X
810 SOUND SYSTEM
819 CD CHANGER
820A
821A AMARETTA/LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE
AMARETTA/LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BLACK/ANTH.

844 FOLDING BENCH SEAT IN CARGO AREA INCL. 2 AUTO -
872 REAR SEAT BENCH HEATING LEFT UND RIGHT
873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
875 HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
890 AUTOMATIC REAR-END DOOR
910 DYNAMO WITH HIGHER CAPACITY (FFO)
915 FUEL TANK WITH LARGER CAPACITY
919 AIRCON COOLING POWER PACKAGE
942 LOAD COMPARTMENT PACKAGE
955 EQUIPMENT PACKAGE ELEGANCE
986 IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (VIN-NO.)
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD

F211 SERIES PRODUCTION 211

FS COMBI - VEHICLE

GA AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

HA REAR AXLE

K12 CONTROL CODE FOR SERVICE INTERVAL

K14 CONTROL CODE FOR SERVICE INTERVAL 20000 KM

L LEFT-HAND STEERING

M005 VEHICLES WITH 4-MATIC-/ALL WHEEL DRIVE

M272 V6-GASOLINE ENGINE M272

M35 DISPLACEMENT 3.5 LITER

R02 ALL SEASON TYRES

R44 17" 7-SPOKE LIGHT ALLOY DESIGN WHEEL

U12 FLOOR MATS, VELOURS

U16 STOWAGE TANK BEHIND REAR SEAT BACKREST

V10 SPEED- + LOADINDEX 95H

VL FRONT AXLE HALF, LEFT

VR FRONT AXLE HALF, RIGHT
Old 11-11-2019, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looks like you might be Ok, I guess the rear airmatic was just a US thing. They changed things from country to country sometimes.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 342 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Use the vin decoder to make sure it doesn't have airmatic in the rear. Station wagons in the US had airmatic for the rear suspension.

https://www.lastvin.com/
No, wagons don't have airmatic in the rear. All S211 wagons had airbag rear self leveling suspension as standard and some got 4 wheel airmatic as an option. Thats why it doesn't show up on the option list. There were no rear coil springs on any 211 wagons anywhere in the world.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:23 AM

2005 E320 CDI,
Other than the rear airbags which this car doesn't have, are there any other issues with these cars to be aware of?
Does the 4 matic have any concerns?
Old 11-12-2019, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
Originally Posted by tbeiler
Other than the rear airbags which this car doesn't have, are there any other issues with these cars to be aware of?
Does the 4 matic have any concerns?
Yes it does have rear airbags. The 4matic system requires additional maintainance which most owners ignore like changing transfer case and front diff oil. Also front control arms and axles are pricey compared to the rwd. The 08 engine should be reliable for the most part.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:21 PM

2005 E320 CDI,
Originally Posted by tjts1
Yes it does have rear airbags. The 4matic system requires additional maintainance which most owners ignore like changing transfer case and front diff oil. Also front control arms and axles are pricey compared to the rwd. The 08 engine should be reliable for the most part.
Thanks for the clarification. I take it the airbags in the rear are for self levelling when carrying loads. I will definitely crawl underneath to check the bladders. Hope they are visible enough to get a good look. Will also ask for service records and see if diff oil and transfer case oil has been changed as well as any other maintenance.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
Thanks for the clarification. I take it the airbags in the rear are for self levelling when carrying loads. I will definitely crawl underneath to check the bladders. Hope they are visible enough to get a good look. Will also ask for service records and see if diff oil and transfer case oil has been changed as well as any other maintenance.
The best check you can do for the airbads is see if the car still looks level after 12-24 hrs of not being driven. If one of both of the rear airbags are sagging, they'll likely need to be replaced. The self leveling rear airbags and shocks are substantially cheaper than airmatic so don't let that scare you off. Around $200/airbag and $60/shock. Airmatic shocks are in the $300 range. If the car is otherwise good don't let the airbags scare you off.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic Wagon
I just bought a 2008 E350 4MATIC wagon back in July. Here's what I have been dealing with since then. I will mention only the bigger issues and ignore the smaller ones (e.g. broken door ashtray):
  1. Low-beam xenon headlight not working. I changed the ballast and now it is working.
  2. Front brake hoses on both sides had minor leaks. Failed safety inspection in my state. I changed those and then it passed.
  3. Check engine light due to problem with coolant thermostat. About to replace this tomorrow.
  4. Car started vibrating heavily a couple of days back. I have ordered engine mounts.
  5. ESP inoperative / cruise control inoperative. Probably the steering angle control sensor but not sure. Need to get a proper scanner to find out.
  6. Tail lamps, both sides, not working. Still figuring out if I can get away with changing just the bulbs.
  7. Front passenger seat is rocking. Probably the TS Locking Bearing is broken. Need to take the seat out and check.
  8. CD player not working. CD changer constantly making whirring noise. Very annoying. Will replace it with an aftermarket stereo.
There are quite a few other issues that I won't mention to prevent making this too long. Bottom line is that you gotta watch out for a lot of stuff. I actually discovered quite a few of the problems prior to purchase but I bought the car anyway because the price was right and I was mentally prepared to fix them.

I intentionally went for the 2008 model year to avoid the dreaded balance-shaft issue. Google for more on that. I also avoided the models with SBC and Airmatic. Google those also.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Will be happy to help.

Last edited by pineywoods; 11-13-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
Originally Posted by pineywoods
I just bought a 2008 E350 4MATIC wagon back in July. Here's what I have been dealing with since then. I will mention only the bigger issues and ignore the smaller ones (e.g. broken door ashtray):
  1. Low-beam xenon headlight not working. I changed the ballast and now it is working.
  2. Front brake hoses on both sides had minor leaks. Failed safety inspection in my state. I changed those and then it passed.
  3. Check engine light due to problem with coolant thermostat. About to replace this tomorrow.
  4. Car started vibrating heavily a couple of days back. I have ordered engine mounts.
  5. ESP inoperative / cruise control inoperative. Probably the steering angle control sensor but not sure. Need to get a proper scanner to find out.
  6. Tail lamps, both sides, not working. Still figuring out if I can get away with changing just the bulbs.
  7. Front passenger seat is rocking. Probably the TS Locking Bearing is broken. Need to take the seat out and check.
There are quite a few other issues that I won't mention to prevent making this too long. Bottom line is that you gotta watch out for a lot of stuff. I actually discovered quite a few of the problems prior to purchase but I bought the car anyway because the price was right and I was mentally prepared to fix them.

I intentionally went for the 2008 model year to avoid the dreaded balance-shaft issue. Google for more on that. I also avoided the models with SBC and Airmatic. Google those also.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Will be happy to help.
Wow that's a lot of problems. How many miles on the car? My $3k 04 wagon 166k miles had none of that. Just regular maintainance like shocks, engine mounts, spark plugs and oil changes in the year and 11k miles that I've owned it.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For ESP, usually either steering angle sensor or brake light switch. The switch is cheap so you could try that first. Otherwise scanner to find the right code. Could also be wheel speed sensors. Tail lamps I believe are LED, if they're out probably a wiring problem or the rear SAM. Thermostat going out is common, change tensioner, both pulleys while you're at it as one has to come off anyway to change the thermostat. Wahler is the OEM maker for Mercedes for the thermostat, when you get that one, there's a spot where the MB logo would go is ground out. Also check the oil cooler gaskets for leaks as you will have to take the tensioner and pulleys off to replace the gaskets. FCPEuro has the kit for the mounts. Rockauto has the kit for the tensioner/pulleys/belts, but FCPEuro also carries it for a little bit more and they have a lifetime warranty but it's a tossup.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic Wagon
Thank cetialpha5. Will look into your suggestions.

Originally Posted by tjts1
Wow that's a lot of problems. How many miles on the car? My $3k 04 wagon 166k miles had none of that. Just regular maintainance like shocks, engine mounts, spark plugs and oil changes in the year and 11k miles that I've owned it.
I bought it with a little over 150k miles on it. Since then I think I drove around another 2k.

I paid $5700. At the time it was the cheapest 2008 wagon in the U.S. I was also looking at a couple of 04s and 06s which were much cheaper (I think the 04 was around $3000). But I did not want to deal with SBC and balance shaft issues.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
SBC has a 25 years unlimited mileage warranty from the original date of sale.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:20 AM

2005 E320 CDI,
Great feedback, thanks for this. The car has been through a number of owners, I would be the 4th. Car has been listed for a number of weeks, He's asking 12500 Canadian, and apparently needs tires and some exhaust hangers. Pretty sure the value of this car should be around half of asking price. Have a mind to get it over to the stealer for a PPI and see what they recommend and then make an offer.
My wife wants a car or SUV that can tow a travel trailer. Pretty sure this wagon could do it, but I know Mercedes North America doesn't recommend towing. I don't want a Curt hitch with the 1" 1/4 post either, something a bit more substantial to pull up to a 24 foot trailer.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
Great feedback, thanks for this. The car has been through a number of owners, I would be the 4th. Car has been listed for a number of weeks, He's asking 12500 Canadian, and apparently needs tires and some exhaust hangers. Pretty sure the value of this car should be around half of asking price. Have a mind to get it over to the stealer for a PPI and see what they recommend and then make an offer.
My wife wants a car or SUV that can tow a travel trailer. Pretty sure this wagon could do it, but I know Mercedes North America doesn't recommend towing. I don't want a Curt hitch with the 1" 1/4 post either, something a bit more substantial to pull up to a 24 foot trailer.
The Curt design is pathetic. You can import a proper towbar from Europe rated to 2100 KGs.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...g-diagram.html

Last edited by tjts1; 11-14-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08 E350
I purchased a '08 E350 sedan 4matic with 71k miles over a year ago... It was good shape on the outside, but I learned pretty quickly there were a lot of hidden issues. The smartest move I made was to take it to the MB dealership and have a head to toe inspection done. The dealership provided me with a detailed report... Consisting of several pages with pics and part numbers.
I started developing with a "pecking" order of when I would do what, based on cost and severity. Overtime I had most of the work done at small low cost shops, and small jobs I didn't trust to the little shops, I had the dealership do it.

Here's the list I had...

-Leaking Right CV Boot
- Cam Sensors needed to replaced
- Rust on Transmission pan (car came from the East coast)
- Replaced Spark Plugs
- Flush Transmission
- Replace front brake pads
- Rust on exhaust pipes and joints
- Replace Motor mounts
- replace serpentine belt and tension pully

Since I've had the car (just over a year), I've completed or had this work done (not necessary in this order):
*Replaced all 4 Rotors, Pads, Brake sensors
*Replaced serpentine belt and 3 pully(s) - not just the Tension pully
*4 new tires
*Replaced Air filters
*Transmission Pan replaced, Transmission flush and Oil change
*Replaced Motor mounts
*Rebuilt both Front Drive Axles
*4 Wheel alignment
*Replaced the Comand radio with an aftermarket headunit
*Removed the Navigation DVD player and the CD player

The car ran great when I first purchased it, but it's even better now that all this work has been done.
===
I still need to have the Brake line flushed, and I would like to replace the rusty Exhaust components... I'm also looking for new rims because I don't like original wheels;

Hope this helps!
Old 11-15-2019, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by atguru
I purchased a '08 E350 sedan 4matic with 71k miles over a year ago... It was good shape on the outside, but I learned pretty quickly there were a lot of hidden issues. The smartest move I made was to take it to the MB dealership and have a head to toe inspection done. The dealership provided me with a detailed report... Consisting of several pages with pics and part numbers.
I started developing with a "pecking" order of when I would do what, based on cost and severity. Overtime I had most of the work done at small low cost shops, and small jobs I didn't trust to the little shops, I had the dealership do it.

Here's the list I had...

-Leaking Right CV Boot
- Replaced Spark Plugs
- Flush Transmission
- Replace Motor mounts

Since I've had the car (just over a year), I've completed or had this work done (not necessary in this order):
*4 new tires
*Replaced Air filters
*Replaced Motor mounts
*4 Wheel alignment

The car ran great when I first purchased it, but it's even better now that all this work has been done.
===
I still need to have the Brake line flushed, and I would like to replace the rusty Exhaust components... I'm also looking for new rims because I don't like original wheels;

Hope this helps!
You're probably going overboard on the rusty exhaust components. They're stainless steel, but they'll still rust out eventually. But it will take a while so surface rust isn't that big a deal.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:16 AM

08 E350
Stainless steel? I didn't know that - thanks!
Old 11-16-2019, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stainless steel? I didn't know that - thanks!
For the last several decades, most exhausts by most manufacturers have been stainless steel. It's pretty much why all the muffler shops went out of business. Midas used to be a muffler shop, now it just does general auto repairs.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 4matic

Here's the list I had...

-Leaking Right CV Boot
- Replaced Spark Plugs
- Flush Transmission
- Replace Motor mounts

*4 new tires
*Replaced Air filters
*Replaced Motor mounts
*4 Wheel alignment

===

Hope this helps!
Never ask a dealership if something's wrong on your car - you can guess what the answer will be...
Old 11-17-2019, 07:17 PM

08 E350
Originally Posted by AUTOdidact
Never ask a dealership if something's wrong on your car - you can guess what the answer will be...
I respectfully disagree! This dealership is one the largest MB dealers in the US! Over 50 certified MB Mechanics on staff, Multi-level (2 floors) maintenance floor, Multi-million dollar facility. The report I received was 6 pages, complete Mechanics notes, MB part numbers, STAR Technotes, and color pics of the areas and components on my car! This document was invaluable for me to make yes/no maintenance decisions. Additionally, used this document as reference when dealing with smaller shops. Bottomline - this document made me smarter! This is my MB - I needed all the info I could get!
Old 11-17-2019, 07:29 PM

2005 E320 CDI,
Only using MB PPI as a tool to negotiate better price on vehicle.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:34 PM

08 E350
What's a "PPI"?
Old 11-17-2019, 07:55 PM

2005 E320 CDI,
Pre Purchase Inspection.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 E350 Wagon