E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Blue Tinted Windows on appearance pkg & AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 w/ AMG Sport Package
Blue Tinted Windows on appearance pkg & AMG

The blue tinted windows that come with the appearance pkg and the AMG models...

Do know if the AMG sports pkg on the E comes with blue tinted windows?

If so what percentage tint is it?

If not, how much would it cost to put in?

Is the green glass same as the blue?

If not what is the difference?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by lyrixmajor

Do know if the AMG sports pkg on the E comes with blue tinted windows?

http://www.ppg.com/gls_autoglass/solextra.asp

Here is the manufacturers specs on the glass used by MB for the sport/appearance packges. The glass is sort of teal blue and I am not aware of a "green" or "blue" option. I do not think you can "put it in"...the cost would not be worth it. Tinting would be a lot cheaper.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E46 M3

Do know if the AMG sports pkg on the E comes with blue tinted windows? - No

Old 07-28-2004, 10:17 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I already answered this question of yours in another thread.. The blue glass is only on an AMG and the appearance package, not on an E500 or E320 with the AMG cosmetic package.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:54 PM

2004 E500 w/ AMG Sport Package
yes but as you can see i had some other questions....can you answer the other questions?

the dealer told me that my car came with a green tinted glass....and the aformentioned comes with blue...

so their has to be a difference...
Old 07-28-2004, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes but as you can see i had some other questions....can you answer the other questions?

the dealer told me that my car came with a green tinted glass....and the aformentioned comes with blue...

so their has to be a difference...
Unless you ordered the Appearance Pkg. you will not have the tinted blue/green windows as far as I can tell. You list all your options but not the Appearance Pkg. Having the AMG Trim package will not get you the Blue tinted windows. The color of the tint is blue to some and green to others and in between for a few more others. MB's says it is Blue in their description of the Appearance Pkg. I don't know what the AMG55 comes with.

BTW...the "Blue Tint" is NOT a tint but it is the color of the glass manufactured by PPG (see the URL above.) The Blue Privacy Glass referred to in the PPG site is NOT the glass...it is the lighter of the two kinds they make and called "Vision Glass."

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 07-28-2004 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Update
Old 07-30-2004, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 White on Stone E320
Regular auto glass looks green "tinted" I guess cuz when you look at the edge, it usually looks green. The blue tinted stuff on Mercedes looks visibly blue all over. It seems to reject a lot more heat than regular auto glass. It's kinda like V-Kool tint (also bluish in color) but without that metallic shimmery look to it.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
all glass with the exception of starfire (low iron) glass has a green tint to it on the edge. if you were to take a piece of 1/2" thick clear tempered monolithic glass manufactured by any of the large glass companies (ex. ppg, guardian, etc) and lay it flat on top of a piece of white paper there would be a slight green hue to it. if you were to take a piece of 1/2" thick clear tempered starfire (low iron) monolithic glass manufactured by the same company and place it on the same white paper you would be amazed as to the difference between the two. the amount of iron in the glass determines the green that you see.

the only time people decide to go with starfire (low iron) glass over the regular glass is when either the edges are going to be exposed (ex. glass guardrails/handrails), person wants nothing to interfere with something they are displaying (ex. display cases, all glass storefronts on 5th ave in nyc, etc.) or they have the money to go for the "more clear" starfire (low iron) glass. for example 1/4" thick and 1/2" thick clear tempered glass are roughly $2.30 and $6.46 per square foot, material only (no polishing of edges, patterns, cutouts, etc.). those same thick nesses in starfire (low iron) glass are $5.35 and $12.36 respectively.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack

BTW...the "Blue Tint" is NOT a tint but it is the color of the glass manufactured by PPG (see the URL above.) The Blue Privacy Glass referred to in the PPG site is NOT the glass...it is the lighter of the two kinds they make and called "Vision Glass."
btw, the "blue tint" as you call it is NOT a tint but rather a coating on the glass that is applied in the glass factory
Old 07-30-2004, 10:20 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Interesting. So it is really green glass with a blue coating. Is this coating on the inside, outside, middle or all three?
Old 07-30-2004, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BklynBenz
btw, the "blue tint" as you call it is NOT a tint but rather a coating on the glass that is applied in the glass factory
The original poster called it a "blue tint"...I did not call it a "blue tint." The glass on my E320 is Solextra Glass made by PPG. I don't know how they get it blue or whether the original glass is green or not or whether the "tint" is in the glass or on it by applying a coating. All I know is that on each window on my E320 Sport it has Solextra on the label.

Here is how they describe it:

Solextra glass is an advanced composition specialty glass formulated to manage the solar spectrum and absorb more infrared (IR) energy than any other uncoated automotive vision glass. The distinctive aquamarine color of Solextra glass is the direct result of the change in chemistry for solar control performance.

I think we have covered this pretty well for the original questioner...:-)
Old 07-30-2004, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
The original poster called it a "blue tint"...I did not call it a "blue tint."
relax, no big deal. i dont care who called it "blue tint". i was just giving you and everyone else who might be interested an education on glass as it is something i am quite versed in.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

relax, no big deal. i dont care who called it "blue tint". i was just giving you and everyone else who might be interested an education on glass as it is something i am quite versed in.
I enjoyed reading your description of glass and there is no doubt you are "quite versed" in the field. However they do it, the glass looks great on the car.

It's been many a year I talked to someone from Brooklyn. I lived in northern NJ and I spent many trips on the train, ferry and subway going to Ebbits Field to watch "the Boy's of Summer" in their golden years play great baseball...:-)
Old 07-30-2004, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
It's been many a year I talked to someone from Brooklyn. I lived in northern NJ and I spent many trips on the train, ferry and subway going to Ebbits Field to watch "the Boy's of Summer" in their golden years play great baseball...:-)
you should try and come over here soon. the dodgers were before my time so i never got a chance to see them, but i would have loved to. have you heard about the new minor league stadium they built for the brooklyn cyclones (mets farm team) in coney island? its about 2 years old and its a fun day/night out. they have really cleaned up coney island and that whole area making it more family oriented
Old 07-30-2004, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you should try and come over here soon. the dodgers were before my time so i never got a chance to see them, but i would have loved to. have you heard about the new minor league stadium they built for the brooklyn cyclones (mets farm team) in coney island? its about 2 years old and its a fun day/night out. they have really cleaned up coney island and that whole area making it more family oriented
Would love to make a trip back but doubt I will get to it. Seem to remember a TV clip somewhere about that area and the new stadium.

I had an uncle who lived in the Brookhaven area...used to visit with him and my father would take us to Jones Beach and Coney Island when we were there. Good times and memories...:-)