E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Satellite Radio No Signal During Rain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 W211 E350 and 2011 S212 E350 long-roof
Satellite Radio No Signal During Rain

I've owned a 2009 E350 with 107k miles for a month now and I added Sirius/Xm to the stock Command unit shortly after purchase. I then noticed that the satellite loses signal shortly after or during moderate to heavy rain (I am very familiar with GPS and other satellite signals and signal losses). I'm concerned that I have water intrusion along the cabling for the satellite antenna but I cannot find a diagram that shows the cable path from the roof antenna to the radio.

Shortly after purchase as I nosed around my new baby, I discovered the trunk fuse compartment behind trim on the driver's side and noticed what I think may be the sat radio module next to the fuse block. I also found an old wadded-up paper towel at the top of that module and now I think I know why. After a good rain today, I opened the trunk fuse compartment and a sister trim piece located at the top of the compartment was damp...it is just aft of the driver's side trunk arm. The module itself did not feel wet, but since it is metal it was more difficult to tell. There wasn't any water that I could see puddled at the bottom of the compartment.

Of course I would like to have satellite radio in all conditions, but the bigger issue is that I am pretty sure I have a leak bringing water into hidden parts of the car. The external rubber antenna seal looks to be in good shape so I don't think that is the source at the moment. I've read some posts about trunk leaks in W211's, but again, knowing the pathway of the satellite radio cabling would help me focus my search. Any help would be great.

Last edited by Jim Stratton; 03-04-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:12 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Jim Stratton
I've owned a 2009 E350 with 107k miles for a month now and I added Sirius/Xm to the stock Command unit shortly after purchase. I then noticed that the satellite loses signal shortly after or during moderate to heavy rain (I am very familiar with GPS and other satellite signals and signal losses). I'm concerned that I have water intrusion along the cabling for the satellite antenna but I cannot find a diagram that shows the cable path from the roof antenna to the radio.

Shortly after purchase as I nosed around my new baby, I discovered the trunk fuse compartment behind trim on the driver's side and noticed what I think may be the sat radio module next to the fuse block. I also found an old wadded-up paper towel at the top of that module and now I think I know why. After a good rain today, I opened the trunk fuse compartment and a sister trim piece located at the top of the compartment was damp...it is just aft of the driver's side trunk arm. The module itself did not feel wet, but since it is metal it was more difficult to tell. There wasn't any water that I could see puddled at the bottom of the compartment.

Of course I would like to have satellite radio in all conditions, but the bigger issue is that I am pretty sure I have a leak bringing water into hidden parts of the car. The external rubber antenna seal looks to be in good shape so I don't think that is the source at the moment. I've read some posts about trunk leaks in W211's, but again, knowing the pathway of the satellite radio cabling would help me focus my search. Any help would be great.
my sat antenna 2006, is a separate antenna, and is a half inch high bump in the middle of the trunk lid.