E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Responding to new owner survey - additional gripes anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500, 2001 BMW X5 4.4
Responding to new owner survey - additional gripes anyone?

I just got my new owner survey in the mail from Mercedes. I have listed the following items as future improvements to the vehicle. Any other improvements anyone else would like me to add?

1. The cruise control is easy to hit when using the turn signal. It would be more convenient and intuitive to have it in on the steering wheel or if that is not possible located on the opposite side of the steering column.

2. The valet key should be capable of locking / opening the trunk and disabling the use of the electronic key once the trunk is locked with it. I realize it once was and have read Mercedes already plans to address this issue. Hopefully this is the case.

3. It is too easy to press the electronic sliding roof button in a way that requires the use of the reset procedure to enable the sliding roof to be completely opened or closed with one press of the button.

4. I would change the vehicle key so that the main key, once separated from the valet key, has someplace a ring can be attached to it. This would be useful when the key is given to a valet, since they would then have a way of hanging the key or attaching some identification to it.

5. Offer different standard tires on the vehicle. My automobile came with Continental ContiTouringContact tires. If all season or grand touring tires are to be offered on the E500, I would have preferred Continental ContiExtremeContact or Pirelli PZero Nero M&S with a W rating. I would also like the top speed limited with those tires to 155mph (rather than 130mph), although I don’t plan to be regularly driving at that speed.

6. Offer different front seat cupholders. Although the center console design is ingenious, the lower cupholder slot is insufficiently large to hold many items one might want to use.

7. Reinstitute some of the things that were recently removed from Mercedes E class vehicles or I have read Mercedes intends to remove. Some examples are the puddle lights on the bottom of the mirrors (my vehicle doesn’t have them), the air conditioned center console (which my vehicle actually has) and inclusion of the rubber ash tray mat (which I didn’t get but have since read is present in 2005’s without an ash tray or cigarette lighter). Just out of curiosity, is there some way to purchase the rubber ash tray mat – I would really like one?
Old 08-01-2004, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Just out of curiosity, is there some way to purchase the rubber ash tray mat – I would really like one?

Visit your dealer's parts dept. Since my car has one, it has to be a replaceable item if I lose/damage it.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-01-2004 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
[B]Just out of curiosity, is there some way to purchase the rubber ash tray mat – I would really like one?
"I just noticed that the '05 W211 do not come with ashtray or cigarette lighter anymore. It has a rubber mat in its place and a cover over where the lighter would be that says "12 volt outlet" - Posted by MarcusBenz (post #11)
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...t=77366&page=2

There should be definite availability through parts.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
champaigntaste check your private messages.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:23 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
I too have recently received the MB survey. I'll keep a close watch on this thread to know what else to include.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
i dont think thats the way it works, personally it should be all personal so its more legit, if you ask other ppl, you will talk about problems that were never affiliated with your car, imo though.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
Originally Posted by champaigntaste
2. The valet key should be capable of locking / opening the trunk and disabling the use of the electronic key once the trunk is locked with it. I realize it once was and have read Mercedes already plans to address this issue. Hopefully this is the case.
Where have you heard about plans to put a trunk valet lock in?
Old 08-02-2004, 01:56 PM

'07 GL450
bmms8:

I have to agree with your statement. We are of equal minds (on this one).

However, I am looking for "general" issues that affect us all. Things like the 'cupholder', the valet key, the car pulling to the right issue, or not having control over the intermittent setting of your wipers.. you know.. that kind of thing.

I guess I'd also like to hear a summary of gripes just to make sure that, when I do fill out the survey, I don't leave anything out that I had planned on mentioning, but had forgotten about because this forum already addressed the matter for me.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:33 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
General stuff? I'd have them quicken the steering ratio and add some feel.

Ditch the "brake by wire"

Have a decent intermittent wiper. My auto-sensor wipers are a joke.

Reprogram the tranny/engine to respond more quickly to what the driver is asking of the car rather than trying to outthink the driver.

Off the top of my head those are the general things that should be improved.

my .02
Old 08-02-2004, 06:36 PM

'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
On our 530, the rain sensor wipers are fine. Is there a problem on the W211?
Old 08-02-2004, 06:39 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I have an early '03 so it may be better now - but the "rain sensor" on my vehicle is clueless.

It does rain a bit here in Seattle, so it is annoying.

I would actually prefer a manual speed control to the current sensor.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I have had very flaky rain sensing wipers. It either does too much or too little for the most part.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
My sensor wipers work flawlesly, no problems to report whatsoever.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:40 PM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram
bmms8:

or not having control over the intermittent setting of your wipers.. you know.. that kind of thing.
why would you want to control the wipers? on my car the windshield senses the mositure and wipes as needed, it works quite well, isn't that a standard option?
Old 08-02-2004, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
My car's rain-sense setting is always right on time with the amount of rain falling. I do find however that sometimes I have to press in on whe wiper stalk button to make them wipe just the first wipe, then the system measures the amount of drops from that wipe on perfectly...
Old 08-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Almost a Member!

My wiper's work perfectly, so I don't feel I can include this in the note. I did consider adding something about making it easier to attach alternative navigation systems like my Garmin to the external antenna and audio system.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:26 PM

'07 GL450
This is my second w211 (after totalling my '03), and both have had issues with the wipers.

In fact, just yesterday, my wipers wiped a dry windshield 4 times at an interval of about 3 seconds between wipes. Now, admittedly, it was really, disgustingly humid outside, but.. COME ON!!

Then there are other times when its merely drizzling outside and the wipers are going bizzerk.. almost like they want to fly off the windshield.

IMHO, the intermittent setting (setting I) should never go faster than setting II (normal wipe), and certainly not faster than setting III (rapid wipe).

Speaking of which, where IS the rain sensor? And what's that little bubble on the hood between the windshield washer jets?
Old 08-03-2004, 01:29 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
If you're going beyond major functional complaints and looking for nits to pick, here are some Golden Oldies from the Treasure Vault of past threads:

1. Steering wheel doesn't control radio presets.

2. Carpet instead of hard material on the inside door sill - constantly dirty with Ash or Stone carpet.

3. Unlit light switch.

And puleeze no, I'm not trying to revive any of the old threads on these topics - but it can't hurt to tell M-B one more time.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:08 PM

e500 4matic; c240

I can understand the cupholder issue and the reduction in features (blame it on the weak dollar I guess). But some of your other complaints are unfounded.

"1. The cruise control is easy to hit when using the turn signal. It would be more convenient and intuitive to have it in on the steering wheel or if that is not possible located on the opposite side of the steering column."

The cruise control mechanism on MB's is probably the best design out there, and has been for the past 20+ years. Simple to operate and just on the right location (no need to read what button say on the steering wheel and risk an accident, no complicated activation proceadure, simple one touch use). Also it cannot be placed on the other side because that is where the voice control stick is located.

"2. The valet key should be capable of locking / opening the trunk and disabling the use of the electronic key once the trunk is locked with it. I realize it once was and have read Mercedes already plans to address this issue. Hopefully this is the case."

I thought it did...so this definetly is a weakness, what's the point of the valet key then? (I'll have to check this)

"3. It is too easy to press the electronic sliding roof button in a way that requires the use of the reset procedure to enable the sliding roof to be completely opened or closed with one press of the button."

Just hit it again, all the way and after it clicks it should upon all up...

"4. I would change the vehicle key so that the main key, once separated from the valet key, has someplace a ring can be attached to it. This would be useful when the key is given to a valet, since they would then have a way of hanging the key or attaching some identification to it."

Yep, I never got why they don't have one. How is the valet guy supose to hang the keys?

"5. Offer different standard tires on the vehicle. My automobile came with Continental ContiTouringContact tires. If all season or grand touring tires are to be offered on the E500, I would have preferred Continental ContiExtremeContact or Pirelli PZero Nero M&S with a W rating. I would also like the top speed limited with those tires to 155mph (rather than 130mph), although I don’t plan to be regularly driving at that speed."

Order the more expensive wheels, or ask your dealer to switch them out with another car in the dealer (I know some come with Mitchellins).
Old 08-03-2004, 04:06 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
With the cruise stalk you can also rest your arm on the door.. It really is in the perfect spot. I thought it was strange at first too but it is really the best spot for it.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Almost a Member!

cruise control placement

The first three times I went to use my turn signal I set my cruise control. Perhaps I need to just get used to it, and obviously I will - it's not going to change on the car I own. I am used to the controls being on the steering wheel itself. I think where you feel it is best placed may be related to how you hold the steering wheel. I'm not the first to complain, and obviously some people are defending it - recognize I'm not trying to start a debate here.