E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

BlueTEC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 04:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E300
BlueTEC

I am considering buying a 2008 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E 320 BlueTEC with 136,000 miles as a daily driver.
Are these good cars?
Old 05-19-2020, 10:42 AM

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic
The post-2007 W211's are solid cars, Mercedes fixed most of the problems that affected the older models with the facelift in 07. The most important thing to look for at that age and mileage is evidence that the car has been maintained properly. Does the seller have receipts proving that services were done on time by a reputable shop?

Get the VIN from the seller, and call the service department at your local MB dealer and have them run a VMI report. They probably won't give you a printed copy because it contains customer information, but they'll be able to read off a list of all services and warranty work performed at an MB dealer. They will also be able to tell you if there are any open recalls or service bulletins that haven't been done.

I would consider getting a pre-purchase inspection either at an MB dealer or a good independent shop to make sure that there are no surprises waiting for you. Government mandated safety inspections aren't the same thing, they aren't nearly as in depth as a good PPI. A couple hours labor at a trusted shop is money well spent if you can avoid a bad car, or if it gives you peace of mind that the car you're considering is a good one.

-At that mileage, depending on road conditions where you live, if the suspension is still original it may be in need of struts/springs/ball joints.
-That car will have the 7-speed transmission, if the conductor plate fails it means a trip to the dealer because the conductor plate for that transmission has been classified as a "theft relevant part" so sales are restricted the same as keys and it requires programming to the vehicle. Replacement was a much easier task with the old 5-speed, anyone could buy a conductor plate over the counter and install it with no programming.
-I've never owned a diesel so I'm not sure how long the DPF lasts, but I'm guessing it varies based on fuel quality and driving style.