E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

You've gotta be kidding me...Harmon Kardon???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
Can't agree with you Barry. Now I'm a classical kind of music guy, and I like to hear the notes clearly. To hear the strings. To be able to hear a real instrument.

That said, the car is not my living room. 65dbA, or 70dbA, plus the occasionally truck or Honda with a 3" cat back, and you can never duplicate a quiet room. However you can get a nice sound.

The Lexus does it better. The DSP system on our '98 and '01 BMWs did it better. However, I think the HK (I played it in three different cars before we bought one) is ok. Adequate. Acceptable.

Better than an Acura TL, which is flat on anything other than a DVD-A and has really cheap speakers.

P.S.
I wear $26 Timex's. I don't know how accurate they are, however we have satellite clocks throughout the house, and I don't think I ever reset the watches to stay with them.

Last edited by DavidNJ; 08-17-2004 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 BMW 550i
Yeah, my Tag is dead on accurate too.

But I think the point is that we are paying a lot for the car, and we expect that our cars will have everything. And when the competition has systems that are better, there really is no excuse, especially when you are buying the "upgraded" system.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Just having some mean spirited fun! :v
Old 08-18-2004, 04:41 PM

S55L AMG
Originally Posted by luxury1
Why did I buy the wrong car? I did this same thing with my '02 5 series? What difference does it make what type of car it is???

I have never had one complaint about my rolex (only others that are blinded by the diamonds ) and I buy my shoes off the rack so I can't relate. I really don't agree with the analogy at all because 1. The car is equipped with an upgraded sound system and I knew this prior to purchase (calculator analogy) and 2. the sound system is made to put out great sound - that is the intent (shoe analogy).

I do not feel that it is unreasonable to ask that a speciality option on the car perform at the highest level of volumes that it allows you to set. The crackeling and cutting out is also experienced when I have it blasting when driving down the road at 80 mph with the windows open (to eliminate the tailgating scenario completely).
Yeah, the car is equipped with an upgraded sound system, and I do believe it does put out great sound, but if you are a real audiophile and have upgraded car audio systems before, you must have known that you were not buying absolutely the best system. I mean, what does it cost over there? I paid £500 for it as an option and I know that I also had to buy the APS50 or whatever, but guys, its only a £500 option. That is spare change when it comes to decent audio. I know guys who have spent that on cabling.

Also, crackling???, cutting out?????? Maybe this is simpler than it seems. I think yours is knackered, mine doesn't do any of that even at full whack.

Barry45rpm, to be certified as a superlative chronometer a Rolex has to go through a set of tests of its time keeping ability. So you came across a guy who doesn't think much of Rolexs. Probably sick of selling them when he can't afford one himself. The guy just got out of repairing or replacing your watch by stringing you a line of bull. Yeah, Rolex, they're well known for their ****ty time keeping. Citizen, aaah the watch of champions.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by rob940
Yeah, Rolex, they're well known for their ****ty time keeping. Citizen, aaah the watch of champions.
Well... I have a bunch of Rolexes, and one (or maybe two, I can't remember) Citizens, and a few others with the Citizen movement in it. I must say, the Citizen watch I have is probably the most accurate watch I have... far better at keeping time than a Rolex, except maybe an Oysterquartz. But accuracy isn't everything... so you should find some other aspect to poke fun at!

-s-
Old 08-18-2004, 09:48 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by scorchie
Well... I have a bunch of Rolexes, and one (or maybe two, I can't remember) Citizens, and a few others with the Citizen movement in it. I must say, the Citizen watch I have is probably the most accurate watch I have... far better at keeping time than a Rolex, except maybe an Oysterquartz. But accuracy isn't everything... so you should find some other aspect to poke fun at!

-s-

F the rolex...its only a name really. In europe, its like the low line of high end watches.

Lets start with a Patek , and then go from there.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ThemisN
F the rolex...its only a name really. In europe, its like the low line of high end watches.

I can see why you might compare a Lexus and a Mercedes... since you would compare a Rolex and Patek. Completely different type of watch for a completely different application. I don't compare my JLCs to Rolexes... different thing... but I enjoy them each for its strengths.

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 08-18-2004 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:57 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
I can see why you would compare a Lexus and a Mercedes... since you would compare a Rolex and Patek. Completely different type of watch for a completely different audience. I don't compare my JLCs to Rolexes... different thing.

-s-
Hey i wasnt comparing them. I just dont like rolexes.

And who DOESNT compare lexus to mercedes? you should write a letter to every mag that compares bmw merc and lexus in that case if you think they arent the closest competitors for their products.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey i wasnt comparing them. I just dont like rolexes.

And who DOESNT compare lexus to mercedes? you should write a letter to every mag that compares bmw merc and lexus in that case if you think they arent the closest competitors for their products.
Oh, OK. I just don't like Pateks, either. But I don't need to say something disparaging against it just because I have a dislike of an inanimate object.

Anyhow, I don't look at the regular car mags too much, but I do remember one recent comparo between BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. No sign of Lexus anywhere. I think if you want to not be like the masses, you should forego the magazines. Just my opinion.

-s-
Old 08-18-2004, 10:14 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Anyhow, I don't look at the regular car mags too much, but I do remember one recent comparo between BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. No sign of Lexus anywhere. I think if you want to not be like the masses, you should forego the magazines. Just my opinion.

-s-
Ill agree with you there...but i was just showing you that there is a basis for a reason to compare the 2. Just bc you dont, doesnt mean most wont.

I only read mags to get a read on cars not out yet...then i just find what fits my personality and fits my needs best at the time.
While im not entirely happy with what the E55 provides, im even less happy with the outlook of the upcoming m5, and the non-existance of a competing lexus vehicle. E55 it is.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
the rolex...its only a name really. In europe, its like the low line of high end watches.

Wow, I wish that I had the benefit of your insight two years ago when I met a European head of state at a party in Geneva. He had an Oyster stainless/white gold. Obviously trailer trash who needed something better to impress!

Ooops, he also missed the Izod alligator on his shirt. What is this world coming to?
Old 08-18-2004, 11:10 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by TPAbnz
Wow, I wish that I had the benefit of your insight two years ago when I met a European head of state at a party in Geneva. He had an Oyster stainless/white gold. Obviously trailer trash who needed something better to impress!

Ooops, he also missed the Izod alligator on his shirt. What is this world coming to?
He impressed you, then i suppose it must be top of the line lol. You notice his socks too? What can i say, i wouldnt have noticed either. cmon, this is gettnig ridiculous. Forget the analogies.

Benz has an inferior sound system to what most people say is a competitor
Should it better? yes
Is it adequate for most people ? yes.
Cant we still upgrade using aftermarket route? yes.
Are all people who upgrade aftermarket, punks who rattle trunks? no.

Glad i finished that up.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Trunk Rattling Punks??? Rolex vs Tag???
I didn't mean to stir everything up, but its nice to see we all have a good sense of humor! What a great place!
...Love it here!
Old 08-19-2004, 03:11 AM

S55L AMG
Yeah, this place is getting better.

Now Patek Philippe, there is a watch.

Gotta go, theres one on eBay for £45, how could I lose!!
Old 08-19-2004, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Timex. $ 35.00 complete with cardboard gift box. What more can I say?
Old 08-19-2004, 12:51 PM

'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
See Below
Attached Thumbnails You've gotta be kidding me...Harmon Kardon???-timex.jpg  
Old 08-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by TPAbnz

Maybe he was frugal

I don't understand the appeal of Rolex. They're too damned big IMO. I wear an 18k Concord Saratoga SL (watch only, leather band), and I have to admit that it isn't exactly a bargain either. It does keep great time, but it doesn't matter much since I have to reset it for daylight savings time and also traveling.

Still, there are many more expensive watches than Rolex, but I think they have good brand recognition. I think I'd get more attention with a Seiko than my Concord. I suppose I'll never be assaulted for it either though. My $10,000 home stereo will probably never be stolen either because there is no brand recognition and there aren't enough lights, knobs, and buttons.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Man, you guys are making me feel cheap with my Timex. When I grow up, I want to have money like you guys.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:30 AM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
When are you people going to get a REAL watch?

Old 08-20-2004, 09:37 AM

I would post a pic of my watch but I don't think you guys could see it through my arm hair
Old 08-20-2004, 10:32 AM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
Originally Posted by saffrontiger
I would post a pic of my watch but I don't think you guys could see it through my arm hair
http://kidshealth.org/teen/question/...r_removal.html

Old 08-20-2004, 11:16 AM

You are making fun of my hirsute disability
Old 08-20-2004, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Maybe he was frugal

I don't understand the appeal of Rolex. They're too damned big IMO. I wear an 18k Concord Saratoga SL (watch only, leather band), and I have to admit that it isn't exactly a bargain either. It does keep great time, but it doesn't matter much since I have to reset it for daylight savings time and also traveling.

Still, there are many more expensive watches than Rolex, but I think they have good brand recognition. I think I'd get more attention with a Seiko than my Concord. I suppose I'll never be assaulted for it either though. My $10,000 home stereo will probably never be stolen either because there is no brand recognition and there aren't enough lights, knobs, and buttons.
It is definitley brand recognition. I see mine as a piece of nice jewelry and it does draw A LOT of attention (partly because I am only 27). I am sure there are better watches out there but I REALLY like mine and can't ever see myself replacing it with anything else (by the way, mine is insured which is not a bad move for a flashy watch...).
Old 08-20-2004, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Ahhhh, but do you know what time it really is? There's something intrinsically wrong in having to re set weekly, a supposedly accurate, expensive "timepiece". I wouldnt complain if it were sold as a piece of jewelery, but it IS sold as a timepiece.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:21 PM

Mine is still pretty new (2 years old) and it keep really good time (as long as I wear it most days of course). It is funny if you think about how many clocks surround you besides your watch and alarm clock: TV, cell phone, car, microwave, vcr, bank signs, some cash registers... they are everywhere. I had a friend that didn't even wear a watch for this reason.