Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e500 wagon
Bluetooth for 2005 e500 wagon

I would like to upgrade my stereo headunit and found this
https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/android-do...head-unit.html
I would also like bluetooth connectivity
Is there anything else I need to buy in order to get handsfree functionality?
Old 08-20-2020, 02:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Before you take that plunge, you may want to take a look at the many threads on Android head units. Some are here in the W211 forum, but others are in the Audio & Electronics forum.
The bottom line is that there are several categories of aftermarket head units, if we're not talking about the "usual suspects" of car audio companies.
Itrons has been selling these a long time, as has Avin. and one starting with a "B" that some people recently have seemed to like.
Dynavin is one of the oldest drop-in head unit manufacturers, but theirs aren't Android-based, they're running something called DynOS, which I believe is a customized Microsoft Windows CE (or whatever MS is calling it now).

Availability of these for the W211 seems to be decreasing a little.
Your main decisions may revolve around"
  • form factor - do you want the largest possible touch screen or do you want buttons and dials similar in arrangement to what your original COMAND unit had?
  • the fastest available CPU (which is probably the Rockchip PX6, and I'm only seeing one of those from Avin)
  • which version of Android you want it to run (There are LOTS with Android 8 and 9, and only a few with 10)
  • what peripherals you might want to add while you're installing it
For example, most of the vendors of Android hed units offer add-ons like
  • a new external microphone for your phone calls (there may or may not be an adapter cable that will allow you to repurpose your original microphone if you have one)
  • "backup cameras" which will show what's behind you when in reverse gear,
  • dash cams,
  • dash cams with internal DVRs,
  • dongles for connecting physically to iOS or Android smartphones, 3G or 4G dongles to provide Internet connectivity to the head unit (it will also work from your phone's Wi-Fi hotspot if enabled but some head units even have SIM slots for their own Internet connection)
  • TV tuners
  • Digital Audio Broadcast tuners (mostly for non-US folks)
Many of them also include an additional GPS antenna of their own for the head unit. Some companies throw in iGo mapping software which doesn't require an Internet connection for navigation. Google maps doesn't necessarily either, but you will have to download maps in advance if you want to try the latter option.

Dynavin seems to be the only one outside of the big brand-name car audio companies that makes a drop in head unit with COMAND-like buttons that will allow direct connection and control of a SiriusXM satellite radio receiver, also.

I hope that helps. I'm shopping for these too, but I've been watching this market develop for over a decade now. I think it's time.
The following 3 users liked this post by pa28pilot:
2MERKS (08-20-2020), Aussie_E350_Wag (02-15-2021), Vmusch (02-15-2021)
Old 08-20-2020, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 230 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by pa28pilot
Before you take that plunge, you may want to take a look at the many threads on Android head units. Some are here in the W211 forum, but others are in the Audio & Electronics forum.
The bottom line is that there are several categories of aftermarket head units, if we're not talking about the "usual suspects" of car audio companies.
Itrons has been selling these a long time, as has Avin. and one starting with a "B" that some people recently have seemed to like.
Dynavin is one of the oldest drop-in head unit manufacturers, but theirs aren't Android-based, they're running something called DynOS, which I believe is a customized Microsoft Windows CE (or whatever MS is calling it now).

Availability of these for the W211 seems to be decreasing a little.
Your main decisions may revolve around"
  • form factor - do you want the largest possible touch screen or do you want buttons and dials similar in arrangement to what your original COMAND unit had?
  • the fastest available CPU (which is probably the Rockchip PX6, and I'm only seeing one of those from Avin)
  • which version of Android you want it to run (There are LOTS with Android 8 and 9, and only a few with 10)
  • what peripherals you might want to add while you're installing it
For example, most of the vendors of Android hed units offer add-ons like
  • a new external microphone for your phone calls (there may or may not be an adapter cable that will allow you to repurpose your original microphone if you have one)
  • "backup cameras" which will show what's behind you when in reverse gear,
  • dash cams,
  • dash cams with internal DVRs,
  • dongles for connecting physically to iOS or Android smartphones, 3G or 4G dongles to provide Internet connectivity to the head unit (it will also work from your phone's Wi-Fi hotspot if enabled but some head units even have SIM slots for their own Internet connection)
  • TV tuners
  • Digital Audio Broadcast tuners (mostly for non-US folks)
Many of them also include an additional GPS antenna of their own for the head unit. Some companies throw in iGo mapping software which doesn't require an Internet connection for navigation. Google maps doesn't necessarily either, but you will have to download maps in advance if you want to try the latter option.

Dynavin seems to be the only one outside of the big brand-name car audio companies that makes a drop in head unit with COMAND-like buttons that will allow direct connection and control of a SiriusXM satellite radio receiver, also.

I hope that helps. I'm shopping for these too, but I've been watching this market develop for over a decade now. I think it's time.
Nice write up! Very informative info. Sounds like "I" may be hooked too. Thanks
R
2MERKS
Old 02-14-2021, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500, 52k miles
Bluetooth is a must!