E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Transmission fluid change at 90k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 e350
Transmission fluid change at 90k miles

Hello all, so I am the 3rd owner of a 2007 e350 and at 90k miles, no transmission fluid change has been done. Would it be a good idea to change the fluid now considering the fact that many people around me tell me it will cause my transmission to fail by slipping?
Old 08-18-2020, 12:30 AM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
I do not think the friction rings would be completely worn out by 90k, unless the car was abused hard. If you notice abnormal transmission behavior after a drain and refill, then you could always pour back in the old fluid you drained, assuming you collected it somewhere. Most people would never do this, as the fluid coming out is very contaminated.

Your transmission is the 7G tronic? If so, just make sure you follow the procedure to get the correct level, and make sure it is checked at the right temperature. Fluid is relatively inexpensive. I would recommend doing several fluid changes, at least 2 or 3. Spread them out by a few hundred miles possibly.

Last edited by F1Fan; 08-18-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
At first MB said it was a lifetime fluid then that changed to every 39k. At 90k, you're probably still fine to change it. It's one of those old wives tale about the transmission failing after changing the fluid. Remember, correlation does not imply causation. It's a common logical fallacy. What typically happens is that people have transmission troubles and as a last ditch attempt, they try to change the fluid, but it's too late and the transmission soon fails. Sorta like some people who say that as soon as you stop working, you drop dead, so to avoid that, you don't stop working. Never really heard of that working either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correl...mply_causation

Normally when you change the fluid via MB's method, there's still some old fluid in there anyway. As suggested earlier, I'd say change the fluid and then change it again in a few thousand miles and then just do it at the normal schedule. You can get the ATF 134 fluid from Shell. It was around $60+ for a case of 12 quarts from a shell distributor as opposed to the $20+ a quart from the dealer.

https://www.shell.us/business-custom...r-locator.html