E270CDI engine rattling/knocking sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E270CDI Avantgarde
Angry E270CDI engine rattling/knocking sound

Hey people,

I've recently gotten a slight problem with my 2003 W211 E270CDI, 180k miles. The engine has started to make a rattling/knocking sound. In the beginning I could barely hear it, but after 2-3 days of normal use the sound was really easy to hear.
First off, I thought it was the injectors/injector seals, so I've changed these and cleaned up the beginning "black death", but still no change.
4/5 injectors were new in 2015, all of them were inspected by a local injector repair shop and they were in good condition.

When I start the engine, the noise isn't there, but then after around 3 seconds it appears (possibly when it gets oil pressure?). It runs and accelerate smoothly with no loss of power. No significant amount of black smoke beyond expected, as it is stage 1 tuned.
Oil service has been done either before or at interval for this car before I bought it. During my ownership oil service has been done every 6200 miles.

No fault codes, no check engine light.

Noise at idle:
Noise during rev:

Anyone got any idea of what this could be?

- Håkon
Old 08-22-2020, 12:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,025 Likes on 953 Posts
1999 E300TD
You have to tell us where the noise is coming from----use a coat hanger to locate the area of the noise
Old 08-24-2020, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E270CDI Avantgarde
We've tried, it sound like it came from the front part of the engine, but we couldn't really hear it coming from the block with a stethoscope. Looks like we were right and that we drew a conclusion to early. If we had just removed the serpentine belt first off, a lot of time would have been saved. The whole problem was the harmonic balancer. At least the injectors are now fixed up

Thanks for the help!!