E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Who needs an iPod anyway?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ToyCollector:
That is just about a mirror image of my experience. I ordered a 2003 E500 from them in Feb 2003. Before delivery, I came to realize (on this board) that MB had stopped retrofitting the E Series for DVD Nav. Of course, RBM denied it and said that it would be fine. I refused delivery, they still denied it, then eventually they said, "oh, well, we didn't know".

So then, I (pre)ordered a 2004 E500 from them. Since it was March 2003, MB was not yet taking 2004 orders. So, I was suppose to be the first on their list come June/July. Well, I never did see that car. I finally cancelled my deal with them in late November of 2004. All the while, they kept telling me it was about to get into production. But, the production date kept changing to later and later.

Then, the General Manager insulted us, and of course, that was the last straw. I was ready to say screw MBUSA after I called their support line and they didn't seem to care. But, in the meantime, I almost bought Lexus and BMW -- neither met as much of my criteria as the E500 (there is no perfect car). So, I went with Atlanta Classic Cars and I couldn't believe how easy and stress-free it was.

Something really needs to be done about RBM. I have yet to meet anybody that has anything nice to say about them.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:07 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by luxury1
Will this work for a late 2004 US model?
Scorchie indicated to me that this only applies to 05/04 and later manufacture cars. He said these will all be code 805 (2005 model year) but not all 2005 model year cars will have these features (some of the CDIs were built before that date).

Bummer. Now I will have to buy an IPOD.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by CALBenzo

Bummer. Now I will have to buy an IPOD.
Or, buy a new CD changer...

We are offering swaps for COMANDs too. I am not sure yet if we will be able to offer a software upgrade to older COMANDs. Some will be unable to read DVDs (for audio) no matter what software is upgraded.

-s-
Old 08-17-2004, 11:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a little confused. Is the Comand in the new US '05s now a DVD drive, or still a CD player with updated software? If it is a DVD drive, has anyone plugged a movie into the slot to see if video is displayed?
Old 08-18-2004, 01:32 AM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by levind
I am a little confused. Is the Comand in the new US '05s now a DVD drive, or still a CD player with updated software? If it is a DVD drive, has anyone plugged a movie into the slot to see if video is displayed?
I tried on and it did not work. I'll try a couple more just to make sure. I suspect, at the very least a software patch is necessary. More likely though a hardware swap is needed.

Maybe scorchie can commment if the hardware exists to play movies in these mp3 capable setups and it is only simply software disabled.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:07 AM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Just from a pure computer point of view, a regular cd rom player can "read" mp3s IF the software coded into the player can decipher the .mp3 format. Putting a dvd into the player will of course result in nothing.

Also, if you have a dvd player, it can "read" mp3s also IF the software coded into the player can decipher .mp3s. DVD player should be able to read regular music cds as well.

So in this case, I believe that the single slot above the display is just a regular cd-rom player which has the software coded in so that it can recognize and play .mp3 format. I haven't tried the 6 disc changer, nor the dvd-nav player in the truck.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by levind
I'll need either a trade-in from a 2005 vehicle, or someone who will kindly let me examine his COMAND ... then I can comment on whether the video decoder hardware (YES HARDWARE) is present.

Video decoding (such as in the current crop of cheap DVD players) is done with chipsets... it's a lot cheaper this way. When is a chipset a hardware device, or when is it software? Good question, and a debate for somewhere else other than MBWorld. Let's just say the chipsets are either present or not present, and they are hard, so the chipsets are hardware thatis either present or not present.

-s-
Old 08-18-2004, 10:54 AM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by F1Fan
So in this case, I believe that the single slot above the display is just a regular cd-rom player which has the software coded in so that it can recognize and play .mp3 format. I haven't tried the 6 disc changer, nor the dvd-nav player in the truck.
single slot above the display plays dvd discs with mp3's on them. Wouldn't that make it a dvd player.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:12 AM

What the hell is Mercedes thinking, anyway? Why wouldn't the drive be a DVD player in the US? Why would they restrict their US customers from having the same, if not similar, features from their European counterparts? The cost difference between a CD player and a DVD player is negligible if anything. Furthermore, it would seem to me that a single hardware device (with perhaps different software) would be more economical for them than to inventory multiple parts.

What goes on in the heads of MBUSA?
Old 08-18-2004, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Don't forget that the US Spec version is designed to accept Sat Radio too (& has a SAT button), whereas the European versions are not, but do offer a TV button & TV viewing instead.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Don't forget that the US Spec version is designed to accept Sat Radio too (& has a SAT button), whereas the European versions are not, but do offer a TV button & TV viewing instead.
That's a design flaw (or copout). There shouldn't even be a SAT or TV button. SAT should be a subfunction under the main AUDIO button and TV should be a subfunction under the main VIDEO button. The subfunctions are software driven in which it could be localized. The COMAND module could easily be designed for universal application.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Baby Jocko
That's a design flaw (or copout). There shouldn't even be a SAT or TV button. SAT should be a subfunction under the main AUDIO button and TV should be a subfunction under the main VIDEO button. The subfunctions are software driven in which it could be localized. The COMAND module could easily be designed for universal application.
Umm, TV _IS_ a menu function under VIDEO.

As I've posted here before, the satellite function should be a menu under the AUDIO button, so I am in agreement with you (or you are in agreement with me, either way, no matter).

-s-
Old 08-18-2004, 12:49 PM

2005 E320
What the hell is Mercedes thinking, anyway? Why wouldn't the drive be a DVD player in the US? Why would they restrict their US customers from having the same, if not similar, features from their European counterparts? The cost difference between a CD player and a DVD player is negligible if anything. Furthermore, it would seem to me that a single hardware device (with perhaps different software) would be more economical for them than to inventory multiple parts.

What goes on in the heads of MBUSA?
I may be wrong but I think it is illegal here in the states to have a video/tv screen in direct view of the driver
Old 08-18-2004, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ajm0824
I may be wrong but I think it is illegal here in the states to have a video/tv screen in direct view of the driver
Yet, a nav screen is legal? The $millions mod shops are making putting in DVD screens as large as 10 - 12" is illegal? Disabling the 5mph cutoff should be the only illegality.

Besides, that still doesn't answer why MBUSA opted for an entirely different design. If they wanted to omit video in the US, that could have been done via software.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
I think MBUSA is more worried about being sued in our lawsuit-happy country.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:35 PM

A car & A truck
Besides, that still doesn't answer why MBUSA opted for an entirely different design. If they wanted to omit video in the US, that could have been done via software.
Well, even at MB's cost, the differential between a CD-ROM reader with a simple data connection and a DVD-ROM + mpeg decoder circuitry is probably in the range of $30 to $100 per command, if not more. Add to that, the iffy state to state statutary question WRT the legality of allowing VIDEO/TV playback in direct view of the driver, and I can see why MB opted for a different design.

As scorchie stated, the difference is not just software.
That said, MB could still have standardized on one mechanism and disabled the video functionality via software. In fact, it seems like they may have done that with the 05 W211s, as the command head unit seems to have a DVD-ROM reader mechanism, which is not the case with 04s and 03s'
Check out this comparison from steve's site :
http://www.mbenznl.com/products/w211comands.shtml
Old 08-18-2004, 01:40 PM

2005 E320
Yet, a nav screen is legal? The $millions mod shops are making putting in DVD screens as large as 10 - 12" is illegal? Disabling the 5mph cutoff should be the only illegality.

One can argue that navigation (mostly voice directive) where you periodically check for localities is a far cry from watching a 2 hour DVD while you are driving.
Personally, I think it's just as bad as some of these people who you see driving while reading the newspaper or something. The driving competency requirements in this area (IMO) are far to low to begnig with. I guess with the 5mph cutoff that might ease my worries somewhat.

However, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want it myself... cause it's cool.

There have been numerous discussons on this forum about the subject.
If you run a quick search you should find something.
also helpful to me was (mbenznl)

From my readings I gather that initially they disabled it by software but later removed a large piece of video decoding hardware (probably at a cost savings). Still not sure what the case is right now with these 05 models.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by midi-guy
the differential between a CD-ROM reader with a simple data connection and a DVD-ROM + mpeg decoder circuitry is probably in the range of $30 to $100 per command, if not more.
I don't think so. It's more like $5 - 10 at most (probably $0 in bulk). You could get a DVD player for your computer as little as $15 these days. And that has much more packaging than the one inside the COMAND unit.

Originally Posted by midi-guy
As scorchie stated, the difference is not just software.
That said, MB could still have standardized on one mechanism and disabled the video functionality via software. In fact, it seems like they may have done that with the 05 W211s, as the command head unit seems to have a DVD-ROM reader mechanism, which is not the case with 04s and 03s'
Check out this comparison from steve's site :
Uh...that has been discussed. I think you may have missed a few posts in this thread.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ajm0824
The driving competency requirements in this area (IMO) are far to low to begnig with.
HAHAHAHA. Come to California and your "East Coast Temper" might become a permanent state of mind... it's no wonder they want to legalize marijuana so bad out here, it's just so you can deal with probably the worst drivers in the world. (Yes, I've been to China and India... and several other places that are stiff competition for California.)

-s-
Old 08-18-2004, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think so. It's more like $5 - 10 at most (probably $0 in bulk). You could get a DVD player for your computer as little as $15 these days. And that has much more packaging than the one inside the COMAND unit.
DVD players and DVD-ROMs ship in the millions of units per year range, for each model. COMANDs for W211 are more like 100,000 per year; if you include the SLK and Maybachs you're at maybe 150,000 per year (those have similar electronics for video, since the C/CLK don't seem to have the video either despite having similar electronics). That's a HUGE difference when buying in bulk.

And we shouldn't even count DVD-ROMs for computers, because they don't have video decoder hardware; the whole decoding is done in software on the computer. Trust me, I know it, because my poor 600MHz computer grinds to a halt when showing video.

So a $30 DVD player is a better comparison; it is just a $10 DVD ROM, $5-10 DVD chipset, and $5-10 case/power supply/etc. At a million units a year, those prices are realized, and so is profit.

Anyhow, we can speculate all we want about this stuff, and whether it is worth it or not. Whatever we think, the DVD chipset is NOT PRESENT in NEARLY ALL 2003-2004 W211 COMANDs, and someone thought it would save enough money that they did it that way.

This was pretty much discussed a few months ago... search for it.

-s-
Old 08-18-2004, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by scorchie
So a $30 DVD player is a better comparison; it is just a $10 DVD ROM, $5-10 DVD chipset, and $5-10 case/power supply/etc. At a million units a year, those prices are realized, and so is profit.
Whatever! I wonder how many people would have sticker shock if they were to pay $30 more for a $60 - 70,000 car.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever! I wonder how many people would have sticker shock if they were to pay $30 more for a $60 - 70,000 car.
Something that costs $30 to a manufacturer (and I'm sure it is more than $30) ends up costing 10 times that to the consumer.

You're not in any kind of manufacturing field, are you?

-s-
Old 08-18-2004, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by scorchie
You're not in any kind of manufacturing field, are you?
-s-
No, but I have a mind with common sense and you're getting a bit ridiculous now.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No, but I have a mind with common sense and you're getting a bit ridiculous now.
If you think I'm being ridiculous, then now I know you don't know anything about manufacturing. Nothing wrong with that; it's just that it seems you're not willing to learn. Let's just leave it at that.

-s-
Old 08-18-2004, 07:59 PM

I'll let you boast your invaluable manufacturing knowledge by explaining how a $30 (benifit of the doubt) hardware price difference could cost $300 to the consumer. There are no extra design or R&D costs because the COMAND w/DVD is already a manufactured item included in the Euro cars. Actually, there is design and R&D cost for manufacturing the alternative US COMMAND unit which could offset the extra cost for hardware.

So, have at it. Make me proud!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who needs an iPod anyway?