E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Quick question regarding MY2003 W211 and navigation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Corvette Coupe
Quick question regarding MY2003 W211 and navigation

Whats the whole story behind MY2003 W211's and navigation. I know about the buy-back and replacement cars but I didnt' follow that too closely.

Please correct if any of the following assumptions are incorrect:

"Early" produced 03 W211's didn't come with navigation from the factory and a retrofit was not available, probably due to some change made to the wiring harness. "Late" produced 03 W211's can some with navigation from the factory, probably because they have the current wiring harness. Thus, a "late" produced 03 W211 can (?) be upgraded to include nav if it didn't originally come with it bue "early" ones cannot?

How do you distinguish between the "early" and "late" ones? I'm assuming the "early" ones constituted the vast majority of the MY2003 W211 production?
Old 08-17-2004, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by cschow
Whats the whole story behind MY2003 W211's and navigation. I know about the buy-back and replacement cars but I didnt' follow that too closely.

Please correct if any of the following assumptions are incorrect:

"Early" produced 03 W211's didn't come with navigation from the factory and a retrofit was not available, probably due to some change made to the wiring harness. "Late" produced 03 W211's can some with navigation from the factory, probably because they have the current wiring harness. Thus, a "late" produced 03 W211 can (?) be upgraded to include nav if it didn't originally come with it bue "early" ones cannot?

How do you distinguish between the "early" and "late" ones? I'm assuming the "early" ones constituted the vast majority of the MY2003 W211 production?
I assume you are speaking about US-spec cars.

All W211s can be retrofit to have OEM DVD navigation and COMAND.. The amount of work that needs to be done and the number of parts required is dependent upon the manufacture date of the car, the original options installed in the car at the time of retrofit, and less importantly to you, the region of the world the car was built for.

-s-