E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

NTG2.5 - I Need help Updating Software.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320CDI (W211)
Unhappy NTG2.5 - I Need help Updating Software.

Dear forum members,

Engineering menu 1

Engineering menu 2

I own a Comand APS NTG2.5 retrofitted from an NTG1 APS. At present, the Maps version installed is the latest, 16.0. While the software version is: NTG2.5 Vol 1.0 (very old).

I have read that the software update is done together with the Maps updates. But, it is not possible to change the version of the navigation software from version 1.1 directly to version 4.1 and higher. Unfortunately, an intermediate updates is required. So, I would need first downgrade the maps version, and, I think it's no possible, (or yes?)

The questions are: Is there out any way to downgrade the Cartography (Maps) version? Or simpler, How can I update the software?

I would greatly appreciate any help.
Old 10-04-2020, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320 Wagon / 2013 E550 Coupe
This doesn't help your thread... However, did you swap the stereo yourself?
Does it have to be programmed?
Lastly, what features does the 2.5 have that the 1 doesn't?
I notice there is an SD slot on the top... That would be super handy haha.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320CDI (W211)
Thumbs up

The_Grimy_One;8171045]This doesn't help your thread... However, did you swap the stereo yourself?
Yes. But my unit does not have an HK audio system. So, the wiring is very simple, using a harness.

Does it have to be programmed?
Yes. It is convenient to indicate to the system that the Command is NTG2.5, with the Star Diagnosis. Obviously, the Data Card cannot be modified.

Lastly, what features does the 2.5 have that the 1 doesn't?
I notice there is an SD slot on the top... That would be super handy haha.
"Most importantly, the unit has build in Bluetooth telephone functionality that works really well and has voice recogntion. It also has an optional DVD changer built in. With the DVD changer, the unit has the Mercedes option code 512. Without the DVD changer it still has option code 527 which can be confusing when finding parts. It has a SD slot for MP3 files, has an internal Hard Disk to hold the map and again supports DAB radio and Media Interface options.
The rotary controller is no longer present, and the unit has a proper keypad again.It is much nicer than the older NTG1/NTG2 systems. It is not made by Becker any more. The wiring for the NTG2 and NTG2.5 look very similar, however there are some major differences if trying to put a NTG2.5 unit in a NTG2 car. These include, the phone controller and linguatronic are built in, so microphone wiring needs to be routed to the COMAND and probably the old phone and linguatronic (if present) need to be removed from the MOST fibre loop. The antenna power on NTG2 cars is driven from the COMAND, on NTG2.5 cars its controlled by another control unit (Rear SAM). The FM antenna connectors are different, and the AUX wiring now connects to different poins on the multiway connector.
" http://www.mercupgrades.com/comand+++all+about+the+different+mercedes+comand+s ystems-article-54.html

The navigation system is built into the Comand and the maps are stored on a hard drive. (The NTG1 has no HDD and the navigation is on a DVD drive in the trunk. The NTG1 works by fiber optics and the NTG2.5 does not. The linguatronic is greatly improved. The NTG2.5 has a SD card reader in addition to the DVD drive. An optional DVD changer can replace the single drive.

The following users liked this post:
The_Grimy_One (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320 Wagon / 2013 E550 Coupe
Your awesome!
Thanks for the super in-depth reply.
I am assuming since I have the H/K system, its probably better for me to go aftermarket haha.
But I will look into both!