E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

4-zone climate control issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2020 | 02:36 PM

2008 E550 4matic
4-zone climate control issues

I've been experiencing some problems with the 4-zone climate control on my 2008 E550 4matic, and I'm hoping someone can help me identify the cause so that I can fix the issues.

1) the air almost never blows out of the vents that I have it set to blow from. The unit has control dials for the driver and passenger, so that each side can determine where they want the air to blow from. I've sat with the engine idling and the system on for close to an hour, trying to determine if there was any permutation or combination that would get them to work properly. SO far I have nothing
2) The system does not blow cold on hot days. It will blow "cool" but not cold. The compressor is new and the refrigerant level is fine.
3) on temperate days (think, under 80 degrees) the system will blow ICE COLD from the front and rear vents. After about 10 minutes on the road, it blows HOT, HOT air from the rear vents. All four zones are set to 69 degrees F.

Can anybody help me identify the cause of these problems? TIA!
Old 10-06-2020 | 08:26 AM

W211 E320 V6 Sport
Have you checked the condition of your pollen/cabin filter?
Old 10-07-2020 | 02:09 PM

W211 E500
Originally Posted by PeteInOmaha
2) The system does not blow cold on hot days. It will blow "cool" but not cold. The compressor is new and the refrigerant level is fine.
3) on temperate days (think, under 80 degrees) the system will blow ICE COLD from the front and rear vents. After about 10 minutes on the road, it blows HOT, HOT air from the rear vents. All four zones are set to 69 degrees F.
Bad Heater Control/Changeover valve P/N A2118320584. DIY thread can be found here or can be done at almost any Indy.

Replacement will remedy problems 2 and 3.