E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration

In the past 4 months I have had the wheels balanced twice, the tire pressure adjusted and still I feel some vibration at around 115-130 Km (65-75 Miles). Lately I also noticed that there is some noticeable vibration of the steering wheel, seats etc. while in drive but stationary. Does anyone else have this problem?
My wife drives a C240 4Matic…..no vibration.

2004 E320 4Matic, Xenon Lights. KH Radio, Parktronic, 4 way heating/cooling (standard in Canada)
Old 08-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Almost a Member!

If there is vibration at idle it could be due to a faulty air filter, that what was causing my problem but it could be a number of other issues. Get the dealer to sort it.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by adam3
If there is vibration at idle it could be due to a faulty air filter, that what was causing my problem but it could be a number of other issues. Get the dealer to sort it.
The car is presently at the dealer. They are going to inspect the engine mounts, but believe it or not the service manager claims that it’s probably”normal” since his E500 has the same vibration……
Old 08-19-2004, 09:11 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Is the vibration you refer to in or out of gear?
Old 08-19-2004, 09:38 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
I have the exact same vibration. I have been battling this since the first day I got the car. Also I had a pull to the right with the car. Finally after taking it to another MB dealer in town, the tires were defective and replaced, and now the car goes straight (but the steering wheel is still a little of center).

But the vibration remains. I'm going to take it back this week if I get a chance. But if you solve this problem, please let me know how!!

BTW, I asked him to check the motor mounts last time, he said they were fine, but I don't think they actually checked it. The reason I asked to check the motor mounts, is because at about 20-30 mph (like around 2nd gear I think), sometimes when I let off the gas, I get a "thunking" noise. Also, the engine noise seems a lot louder know then before. I had this same kind of "thunking" noise in my mini-van, and it was a motor mount problem, so I thought maybe this is also.

Please update me when you find out more!! BTW, at idle, my car is completely still

Last edited by abhansali; 08-19-2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by RJC
Is the vibration you refer to in or out of gear?

Its alway in gear only....
Old 08-19-2004, 10:15 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by psyrtash
Its alway in gear only....
In gear... NOT normal.

Trending Topics

Old 08-20-2004, 05:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by abhansali
I have the exact same vibration. I have been battling this since the first day I got the car. Also I had a pull to the right with the car. Finally after taking it to another MB dealer in town, the tires were defective and replaced, and now the car goes straight (but the steering wheel is still a little of center).

But the vibration remains. I'm going to take it back this week if I get a chance. But if you solve this problem, please let me know how!!

BTW, I asked him to check the motor mounts last time, he said they were fine, but I don't think they actually checked it. The reason I asked to check the motor mounts, is because at about 20-30 mph (like around 2nd gear I think), sometimes when I let off the gas, I get a "thunking" noise. Also, the engine noise seems a lot louder know then before. I had this same kind of "thunking" noise in my mini-van, and it was a motor mount problem, so I thought maybe this is also.

Please update me when you find out more!! BTW, at idle, my car is completely still
I just picked up my car from M(factory).sevice and this is what my invoice states:"Noted slight vibration in gear"
"Perform comparison testing with samevehicle,noted conern the same.Lift vehicle check for under demage and drive train mounts,all good.No action taken as noted on all 4Matic 211 vehicles."
Old 08-20-2004, 05:26 PM

take your car to NTB and ask them to balance it and see what they say about your tires. My dealer also told me the same kind of "everything is fine" with my alignment and managed to kind of make it straight. Once I rotated the tires, the alignment was out again. In frustration, I took it to NTB and they said the tires were not round (defective) and that the alignment caster was off from right to left with a difference of 1.5 degrees which requires a caster kit from MB to fix.

I took it to MB service, and finally they replaced the tires, he said he had no idea what NTB was talking about with the 1.5 degrees, that the alignment was fine. Car does go straight now, so I did not argue, but I'm going to take it to NTB again this weekend about the vibration and I guess they will tell me if the new tires are okay. I think one or more of the tires on the car may still be defective and that is the cause of the vibration or maybe they did not balance it properly when they put on the new tires.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Almost a Member!

take your car to NTB and ask them to balance it and see what they say about your tires. My dealer also told me the same kind of "everything is fine" with my alignment and managed to kind of make it straight. Once I rotated the tires, the alignment was out again. In frustration, I took it to NTB and they said the tires were not round (defective) and that the alignment caster was off from right to left with a difference of 1.5 degrees which requires a caster kit from MB to fix.

I took it to MB service, and finally they replaced the tires, he said he had no idea what NTB was talking about with the 1.5 degrees, that the alignment was fine. Car does go straight now, so I did not argue, but I'm going to take it to NTB again this weekend about the vibration and I guess they will tell me if the new tires are okay. I think one or more of the tires on the car may still be defective and that is the cause of the vibration or maybe they did not balance it properly when they put on the new tires.
Its intersting but how do you explain the vibration while the car is stationary and in gear?
Old 08-21-2004, 10:48 AM

Okay then maybe our problems are different, because if my car is stationary but in gear (like at a red light), I have no vibration at all.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:59 AM

Same problem

I am having the same problem. Vibration in the steering wheel, you can feel it in the seats 40-70 miles. I had the tires rebalacned but that didn't help. Going to check if it's the rim.

Did any of you ever resolve the vibration issue?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:04 PM

no, but I have not taken it back yet for this.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:25 PM

no, but I have not taken it back yet for this.

Well, just emailed evosport to see if they can check the car out. I will keep you posted.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
The originator of this interesting thread not only had a vibration when travelling at 60 -70mph, but also whilst the vehicle was stationary.

So why are people suggesting it might be something to do with the tyres.

Please do not take this as a sarcastic comment, I am curious as to what might be causing the problem. To me it looks more of an engine/transmission problem.

Something as silly as variance in compression of differing cylinders? Something out of balance in the drive train?

It certainly is not right. It is something I would find unacceptable.

Good luck,
John
Sunny Torquay
Old 09-13-2004, 02:11 PM

It maybe 2 separate problems, mine is NOT when stationary only at 50-70mph.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:08 PM

It maybe 2 separate problems, mine is NOT when stationary only at 50-70mph.

Same here. 45-70mph, not when its sationary. Funny thing is when I had my tires balanced the vibrations has gotten worse.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:14 PM

same thing happened here, I took it in to NTB instead of the dealer. They said the tires were not round so they could not be balanced. I also have an alignment problem also. Dealer finally replaced the tires, alignment seems to be almost perfect now, but the steering wheel is still a little off-center (about 5 degrees or so). But still have the vibration at 50-70mph. I have a feeling that even one of the replacement tires is not good.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:19 PM

same thing happened here, I took it in to NTB instead of the dealer. They said the tires were not round so they could not be balanced. I also have an alignment problem also. Dealer finally replaced the tires, alignment seems to be almost perfect now, but the steering wheel is still a little off-center (about 5 degrees or so). But still have the vibration at 50-70mph. I have a feeling that even one of the replacement tires is not good.
I forgot to mention that the car also pulls to the right. Don't want to fix the alignment till the vibration is taken care of.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:35 PM

Is your steering also off-center a little. For example, if you are going 60 on a straight road, the steering wheel is slanted a little to the right as the car pulls right.

I think you have the exact same thing as me. I have a feeling that these Conti tires are really bad. One thing that worries me is that NTB told me they could NOT align the car because the caster difference from left to right was more than the specified amount and the only way to fix it was to add a caster kit that was $90+ from MB. He showed me the printout from the alignment machine also. So I took it back to the dealer, he said he had no idea what NTB was talking about, that there is no caster adjustment on the car. The after replacing the tires it seems to go pretty straight, but I can't completely tell, because on highways it seems straight, but on other roads I still feel a pull. People will say it is the road, but I just compare to the camry that I had before which never "pulled" that way on any road.

I was thinking about taking it back to NTB first and see if they can align and balance the tires now. If not, then I will take back to the MB dealer again.
It bothers me if NTB says they can't align the car, because I don't expect to keep taking the car back to the dealer to get it aligned every time.

Apurva
Old 09-13-2004, 04:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Vibration

Originally Posted by dchoe
I am having the same problem. Vibration in the steering wheel, you can feel it in the seats 40-70 miles. I had the tires rebalacned but that didn't help. Going to check if it's the rim.

Did any of you ever resolve the vibration issue?
My dealer (Factory owned) claims that the amount of vibration is "Normal". I don`t think so ...my friend has a 2003 E320 with the same vibration. I went for a test drive with one of the technician at Mercedes and he told me that it might be the engine mounts. The service manager does not think so........what to do?
Old 09-13-2004, 04:24 PM

interesting on the engine mounts....let me tell you some more observations with my car. It has become louder when accelerating then when I first bought it, and occasionally I get a "thunk" kind of noise when I let of the gas, which sounds like a transmission noise, but I had this same kind of noise on my mini-van and it was a motor mount issue, because of the engine shifting when you let of the gas. Of course, we also know from previous posts that acceleration noises have been linked with the motor mounts.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a motor mount issue in my car?
Old 09-13-2004, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 S63 COUPE
as the vibration speed try shifting into neutral and see if vibration goes away.
if it is still there then it is on the wheels .
if no vibration then it is on the driveshaft/coupling.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:11 PM

If I'm running at 60mph and shift into neutral, and then shift back to "D", is that safe for the transmission? Never done that in a moving vehicle without a clutch?

Apurva
Old 12-03-2004, 11:49 AM

Late update: I finally resolved the vibration isssue. I ended up taking my car to Advanced Motorsport in Carson. They found out that the bushing on the control arm was cracked and worn. Once replaced the car runs perfect! If you ever in the area and need service for you benz ask for Marc at AMS. I'm sure they can help.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vibration