E500 4Matic Transmission/Driveshaft Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
E500 4Matic Transmission/Driveshaft Vibration

Hi all,

I recently bought an '05 E500 4matic wagon with 210k miles. I've gone through lots of maintenance and changing of parts so far, and most things have been smooth (lots of knowledge carried over from my W211 E55). However, I'm having a weird issue with what seems to be a driveline sound/vibration. Here are the symptoms:

First fault. Car is warm, transmission is in drive or reverse, car is stopped with foot on the brake: there is a high pitched vibration coming through the transmission tunnel area. It's both audible and can be felt through the floor. It goes away the moment the brake is released and the car starts rolling, or if the car is put into neutral or park. Almost a "buzzing" sound and feeling.

Second fault. At the bottom of second gear (maybe 15-20mph) while accelerating in a straight line, there is a sound coming from the transmission tunnel area that almost sounds like the driveshaft is hitting something (although from visual inspection it's not). It's about one clunk per driveshaft rotation. The sound goes away the moment the car stops accelerating, or gets above about 20mph.

So... any ideas? Is it as simply as a transmission mount, or maybe something in the transfer case? Are these problems even related? Recently the front driveshaft was replaced so that shouldn't be the problem.

Thanks!