E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

A Week with a V710...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
A Week with a V710...

As many of you know, this will be the new phone supported by MB in the near future. It is available on Verizon now. The price is $320, with a $70 rebate for a new two year contract. Additionally, Verizon has an additional $100 credit if you have an existing contract and have not upgraded your phone in the past two years.

So, having misplaced my V60 a week before the phone became available at Verizon on August 11th, at 9:30am I became the owner of a new V710. A subsequent mail order added a Bluetooth headset (HF820, $75), portable Bluetooth speaker (HF800, $78), and USB computer interface ($35).

Now this phone is a little larger than the V60, it is actually nearly as large as my wife's Treo. However it is narrower and shorter (also thicker), which makes it easier to use. In addition to a pretty high resolution inside the clamshell screen, there is also a smaller external screen.

There are an arms length list of features: mega-pixel camera, video with sound, graphic mobile Internet access, speakerphone, etc. However what I think is the most outstanding feature is the voice recognition.

In earlier phones, you could record names, such as 'Home', 'Mother', 'John', etc., and the phone would recognize what you had previously recorded. The V710 has taken it to a new level. First, you don't record the name. It understands the name from the text name. After downloading contact information from Outlook, it automatically provided voice dialing! When a a contact has multiple phone numbers--office, home, mobile, etc.--it that asks you to say the word: 'work', 'home', 'mobile', etc. And it works with a very high degree of accuracy. Higher than the V60 or are BMW 530 did with names that we had recorded. Wow!

However that is just the beginning. There is also 'Digit Dialing'. You can speak the phone number. Now I know the BMW had that, and I think the MB also has that. This is the first handheld cell phone that I know of that has that. Now to how it works. At the first menu you same 'Digit Dial' instead of 'Name Dial', 'Redial', or some other command.

Then you speak the number. It must be either 7 or 10 digits. Anything else is considered an error. Recognition quality is very good. If the phone isn't sure, it will provide multiple options, saying each number back to you.

Now couple that to the wireless devices. If no other device is connected and the devices were previously paired, simply press a button on the device and in 20 seconds it is connected. Press the button on the handsfree device and it brings up the phone's voice menu. With the extensive phonebook and digit dialing, you can dial any number without ever taking the phone out of your pocket.

The HF820 is a very small handsfree headset. A pivoting hook goes over the ear, then the device snaps to the ear, securely holding it. Considering it has a battery, wireless receiver/transmitter, charger interface (it uses the same charger as the phone, although it comes with its own) the device is very, very light. Light enough not to notice. Other people will notice the bright blue light flashing in your ear though.

The mic is along side your cheeks, and both the speaker and mic are quite useable. The phone rings in the headseat when connected. The portable speakerphone works in a similar manner. It comes with a case that exposes the buttons, mic, and speaker, with a clip to go on a sunvisor. Some background car noise is heard.

The phones own speakerphone is very good. The remote devices just give added flexibility. The other features all seem to work well. Reception is noticebly stronger than the V60 in weak signal areas. The 1x CDMA remote web has good speed. The high resolution screen makes the text and pictures from web access much more usable then other phones I have tried.

There are some bugs still being worked out. One bug prevents the mobile Phone Tools from recognizing it as a multimedia device. As a result I have not been able to download videos or photos. On the camera's screen they look good. But until they are downloaded and viewed in Photoshop we won't really know. They say the fix will be distributed over the wireless connection by Verizon in the next couple weeks.

A few weeks after that another bug is expected to be fixed. This bug prevents a Bluetooth connection to the Mobile Phone Tools. So you must use a USB cable. Not as big a penalty as it seem, since it forces you to plug it in where it can recharge.

Battery life seems to be good. In normal use more than a day or two. However the Mobile Phone Tools seem to drain the battery quickly.

Overall, this seems to be the best phone I have seem and has met or exceed all expectations. If the new car is as good as the phone, we will be very happy.

David
Attached Thumbnails A Week with a V710...-phone-accesories.jpg  
Old 08-20-2004, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
yeah i was looking at that phone too two weeks ago at verizon, the kid brought it out from the back. nice write up. im still debating.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DavidNJ, nice review. But, why did you buy the V710 from Verizon? Last I've heard, rumor is that the 2005 E Series' phone system still requires a proprietary (V710) phone.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:09 PM

'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
Three reasons:

1. I needed a phone NOW.

2. We still need to upgrade the second phone, currently the car phone in the BMW.

3. I really, really, don't think an MB phone will be required. Just think about, Verizon is pushing down a software update over their network. How would an update get to an MB phone?
Old 08-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
This is so old it’s got hair on it. On a calculator, key in the first three digits of your phone number (not the area code). Multiply by 80. Add 1. Multiply by 250. Add the last four digits of your phone number. Add the last four digits of your phone number again. Subtract 250. Divide number by 2. What’s the result?
Old 08-22-2004, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Old 08-22-2004, 02:15 AM

Come on, HOH, its just an identity. You enter xxx0000/10000, the top 3 digits. then multiply by 20,000 so you have 2 times xxx0000. Add 250 (1 x 250), Then add 2 times the ---xxxx so that you have 2 times xxxxxxx + 250. Subtract 250. divide by 2.

Maybe konigstiger should go back to lemon law advice...
Old 08-22-2004, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Come on, HOH, its just an identity. You enter xxx0000/10000, the top 3 digits. then multiply by 20,000 so you have 2 times xxx0000. Add 250 (1 x 250), Then add 2 times the ---xxxx so that you have 2 times xxxxxxx + 250. Subtract 250. divide by 2.

L.O.L...... I know my what my screen name represents to me, but obviously it has a different meaning to you..... Perhaps all people that ride Harleys are complete idiots or as I've been described before as on this forum a "knuckle-dragger"???? I mean you felt compelled to take a few minutes from your day to spell it out step by step like I was...its quite alright, I actually found it quite amusing, but perhaps its my fault.... The "faces" in my last post was my comment to konigstiger's posting of this "formula"... I couldn't figure what the hell it had to do with your report of the V-710, which I thought was quite well written... I'm in the market for a new phone and found it helpfull...
Old 08-22-2004, 12:11 PM

I wasn't meaning to insulting...Harley's are definitely an upscale ride...not inexpensive by any means...not quite my taste...but then my wife won't let me buy a bike...so you're ahead on that scale. I misunderstood you intent.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
No Harm, No foul....
Old 08-22-2004, 01:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by DavidNJ
I never offered advice concerning lemon law – ever.

Harley has absolutely nothing to do with the phone itself but amusing when you key the formula in on a calculator. The result comes out to be your phone #. BTW the Napa visit discussed is scheduled for Labor Day thanks for your recommendations.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by konigstiger
I never offered advice concerning lemon law – ever.

Harley has absolutely nothing to do with the phone itself but amusing when you key the formula in on a calculator
The result comes out to be your phone #

L.O.L... I like you stated, its so old it has hair on it.... Hope you have a great time in the valley.
Drive safe....
Old 08-22-2004, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think I'm ancient or something, because it's the first time I've ever heard of the rule, konigstiger. But, thanks for the formula.

In regards to the meet, I really wish I could join you guys. I once lived close to Napa Valley. Have fun, though.