E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rear View Mirror internal plastic tabs broken

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Rear View Mirror internal plastic tabs broken

Hello, I purchased my '05 320CDI about 2 years ago. I love it. Not my first MB Diesel, but I think the best so far even though it has 150k miles on it.

One thing that has always irked me is that the rear view mirror doesn't stay in the same place. it started rattling, so I opened it. Come to find out, not one, but both of the spring steel retainer clips were in the bottom of the mirror housing. Upon closer examination, on both sides, the plastic retaining tab was broken. Frustrated, I purchased one online for $35 and those tabs were broken too!

I know I can 3D print a new housing. Does anyone have a 3D cad file of the mirror side (not windshield side) of the rear view mirror for a W211 that you could share?

Help!
Old 11-01-2020, 01:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,051 Likes on 972 Posts
1999 E300TD
Are you serious. Try going to any junk yard
Old 11-01-2020, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Right! That may be a good idea where you live, but considering that it's a 17 year old vehicle that spent most of it's life either in Florida or AZ, the plastic tab will be brittle in any subsequent "junkyard part" going forward. Here in AZ, temps inside the car can easily reach 140 degrees, then during the winter drop to freezing or even below. That's not easy on many plastics.

I was hoping to create one that could last an additional 17 years, remembering that my wife is 5 ft and I'm over 6 ft tall. With that difference in height between us, adjusting the mirror is not trivial. I own a 2016 VW Passat and we've already been through our first rear view mirror there too. Material fatigue was the reason for failure there too.

Marcus