Red Message: Gear selector lever in P

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 695 Likes on 507 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Red Message: Gear selector lever in P

Why is my display displaying this? My wife was driving the car today and had this happen this morning. No codes according to Icarsoft II. Drove the rest of the day with no issue until she got home just now, and when she turned the car off this message popped up again and the car was beepbeepbeeping at her. It won't start when the message is displayed but it seems to cancel itself after a few minutes. The car starts normally now. During the event, I confirmed that the transmission shifts and the gear shift brake interlock behaves properly according to icarsoft. The car drives perfectly well when the message isn't displayed.
Ideas on what to check?

Displayed on turning off ignition, car won't start
Old 11-24-2020, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Found 2 codes with the Launch X-431 V+ scanner
ABS Control C225C (stored)
and
Undervoltage Supply C14FB (stored)

Last edited by rapidoxidation; 11-24-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 ML350 Bluetec
A unique issue, it seems? Any thoughts on what MIGHT be the issue? Would a conductor plate problem manifest itself in this manner?
Old 12-06-2020, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Problem solved. Didja know that if you have SBC Hold active, put the car in park, and turn it off... The car gets pissed and shows you the screen above? I didn't either, until today. I was showing the wife how neat the SBC-H feature was then turned the car off and got the screen. At first, I didn't make the association between the function and the screen. Pulled out the Icarsoft computer, zero issues just like what precluded my first post in this thread. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my brain a light switched on, then I had to try to figure out how to turn the feature off... Finally did, by having the ignition all the way on and stabbing the brake. Screen turned back to normal, and the car was able to start and run normally. Did the whole thing over again a couple times to confirm what I was looking at, and indeed that is the case. The car isn't broken when the screen turns red and displays the "gear selector lever in park" message, it's just telling you something that it doesn't like.
Videos are worth a few hundred words, and here's one to show what happened.

If you have the SBC Hold and SBC Stop features active, I recommend you watch and know how to avoid this (now minor) issue.

The following 2 users liked this post by rapidoxidation:
DjaKRAbb (12-06-2020), Talkwrench (12-31-2021)