E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Squealing noise after replacing center bearing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 09:40 PM

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic
Squealing noise after replacing center bearing

Last week I had my driveshaft center bearing replaced due to excessive noise and vibration, and since then I've been hearing a loud squealing noise that sounds like a bad bearing between 40-60km/h. The noise seems to be tied to road speed, not engine speed. It also doesn't change much shifting from drive to neutral while moving, It does seem to be a little louder under load, such as driving uphill.

The entire center bearing and carrier assembly was replaced with a new Meyle unit. I had the shop that did the work take a look and they were unable to locate the source of the noise, but they did adjust the position of the center bearing. The noise is still present, but seems a bit different now.

The noise is only present for the first 5-10 minutes or 2-3km of driving, and doesn't return until the car has sat for many hours. It seems to be temperature related, too. The other night when it was -15 outside the noise lasted for 10 mins and approximately 5km, but in warmer weather (warmer being around the 0 mark) it's gone in less than 10 minutes/2-3km.

Any ideas on where to start looking? I've seen other threads talking about a bad transmission fluid pump, but that doesn't seem likely here since the noise is tied to road speed and not engine speed, and doesn't occur when revving the engine in park or neutral? I also have new motor mounts, could the change in driveline angle with new motor mounts and new center support have anything to do with it?