E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

722.9 Conductor plate failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 11:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
722.9 Conductor plate failure

Hello everyone. I have a 2007 E550 with the 7spd tranny with 147k miles on it. I’ve been daily driving it the last year or so, and lately it’s been giving me transmission problems. I’ve pulled codes which were “input/output speed sensor intermittent”. Every now and then I’ll be on the freeway and my car will just slip into neutral, was always fixable by shutting the car off and restarting it, but tonight it went into limp mode after a kickdown when I passed a car and stayed in limp mode and I couldn’t get it out of 2nd gear. Is the conductor plate really the problem here? Don’t want to have to spend $900 on a new conductor plate if that isn’t the problem but the symptoms Im having point to a faulty conductor plate. Help?
Old 02-17-2021, 12:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
The 7gTronic tranny does not use conductor plate. They are common on the 5spd tranny. You might have some issues somewhere either electronically or could be an issue with transmission but they are generally very reliable however the service on the tranny are seal which should be performed by your local MB dealer since they have to change it from the pan and filled through the pan with a equipment that runs the fluid.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,024 Likes on 3,161 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by BenzVince
The 7gTronic tranny does not use conductor plate. They are common on the 5spd tranny. You might have some issues somewhere either electronically or could be an issue with transmission but they are generally very reliable however the service on the tranny are seal which should be performed by your local MB dealer since they have to change it from the pan and filled through the pan with a equipment that runs the fluid.
Are you sure about this statement? Search this site and you will find plenty of electro-hydraulic threads relate to the 7G. MB may not call it a conductor plate, but the components and function serve the same purpose.
The following users liked this post:
Diablo_CLS55 (02-19-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,024 Likes on 3,161 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
DEL
Old 02-19-2021, 05:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by BenzVince
7G does use a conductor plate. They are well know for failing on the early models like my 2007. It is of no matter. I have an extended warranty and it is in the shop right now getting fixed, and once that warranty is up I will be selling this car and buy a used E55. Car was reliable up to this point but my confidence was sorta shaken after having this problem and I’m sure a lot of other things are ready to go out on this car at this mileage anyway. Plus there is no tuning potential for this car at all really. I used to have an e500 and bought an e550 after the 500 was totaled and was always kicking myself a bit for not spending the extra money and just getting an E55.