E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

S211 Headunit Replacement, Options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320 Wagon / 2013 E550 Coupe
S211 Headunit Replacement, Options?

So, I have been reading through forums for the past couple weeks, trying to grasp my options for upgrading the headunit in my S211 E320.
It currently has the H/K system with the navigation stereo. Of course it is old, and very limited to what it can do.

I have an aftermarket sub stage ran off an LOC, currently. Which it sounds nice, but I can't get over the options I have for playing music with my stock stereo.

Ok, so here is where my questions/thoughts come in... I really don't want to run a Chinese Android stereo (unless it really makes my life that much easier). I would like to maybe just do a double din Kenwood/JVC, or something similar. The real issue comes into play, however, on how to run any stereo with our factory H/K system. Is it worth it? Should I spend the extra money and have all the stock stuff ripped out? I have seen people using something like this --> https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...-slk-s-cl.html

But then I have also heard people run their aftermarket head unit directly to the speakers/amp... I am pretty savvy with this, but it gets quite confusing. Also, what fiber optic loops do I need to accomplish any of this?

With all this being said, what are some options you all took? I would like to retain the factory speakers and just use them, if possible... But if it is going to be this huge task, I will go ahead and just purchase 2 sets of comps and by-pass the entire factory setup. Thanks for any help and or insight.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
The vast majority of the MOST fiber optic adapters will remove any fader capability. They will give you RCA connectors for "left" and "right".
Recently, I found news of one out of Russia, from a company called Trioma, that
incorporates a sort of software-simulated fader capability. I may be springing for one of these for my 2005 E320 CDI.

You can find them on eBay but the vendor has a website as well.

The issue with people running "barefoot" is that the factory Harman-Kardon system has speaker impedances that are not your typical 8 Ohms, and it's possible to damage your speakers or something else if you run your replacement head unit directly to them. Some people seem to report that it's fine. I'm betting those are people who take great care about volume settings before they turn off their car, and who smack passengers' hands if they try to touch the volume knob.
The following users liked this post:
The_Grimy_One (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by pa28pilot
The vast majority of the MOST fiber optic adapters will remove any fader capability. They will give you RCA connectors for "left" and "right".
Recently, I found news of one out of Russia, from a company called Trioma, that
incorporates a sort of software-simulated fader capability. I may be springing for one of these for my 2005 E320 CDI.

You can find them on eBay but the vendor has a website as well.

The issue with people running "barefoot" is that the factory Harman-Kardon system has speaker impedances that are not your typical 8 Ohms, and it's possible to damage your speakers or something else if you run your replacement head unit directly to them. Some people seem to report that it's fine. I'm betting those are people who take great care about volume settings before they turn off their car, and who smack passengers' hands if they try to touch the volume knob.
This is awesome, thank you! I just messaged them.
And that makes sense. I believe the speakers are 4 ohm? I am a little confused on how processing takes place when you run the stock speakers off an aftermarket headunit... Since I have a 3 way front, is there some kind of xover that is between the amp and the speakers?

Let me know if you end up purchasing the adapter, however, I am really curious on how well it works.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
I've got an older Chinese Android head unit (it came with the car) and it's a piece of crap. I prefer the stock radio using the AUX cable to play Pandora from my phone. The sound quality was also much better from the factory system.
CQHall (08-27-2022)
Old 03-03-2021, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
I've got an older Chinese Android head unit (it came with the car) and it's a piece of crap. I prefer the stock radio using the AUX cable to play Pandora from my phone. The sound quality was also much better from the factory system.
Understandable. Thanks!
I find that using my aux connection has no where near as much volume as using the CD player.
I will be honest, if my CD player worked well and my CD changer worked well, I would probably just leave it as is.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by The_Grimy_One
Understandable. Thanks!
I find that using my aux connection has no where near as much volume as using the CD player.
I will be honest, if my CD player worked well and my CD changer worked well, I would probably just leave it as is.
I have the CD changer removed from my car if you're interested. Worked perfectly when I removed it.
The_Grimy_One (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by bobgodd
I have the CD changer removed from my car if you're interested. Worked perfectly when I removed it.
How much would you want to part with it?
Old 03-05-2021, 11:10 AM

86 BMW 635CSI
I have exactly the same setup as you. I decided to install a grom module. I now have a lossless wired connection to my iPhone. Sound quality is at least as good as a cd. Steering wheel controls work as well. It also adds Bluetooth hands free calling and audio playback. I’m really happy with it.

here’s the link

https://gromaudio.com/store/most_ada..._optional.html
Old 03-05-2021, 11:14 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2014 E550
I went with the Enfig non-MOST replacement kit, and installed a Pioneer DVH-2600NEX headunit along with some Alpine amps, and a sub in the trunk. I did not replace the factory speakers; with a good amp they actually sound very good.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by The_Grimy_One
How much would you want to part with it?
How about $20 plus shipping?
Old 09-22-2021, 03:11 AM

Reviving this post from the dead.
Can someone post the Logic7 wiring list for 2004 Estate?
Old 08-24-2022, 04:10 PM

Up again.
Does anyone have the logic7 wiring diagram for a 2004 harmon kardon estate?
Old 08-24-2022, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by CastorTroy
I went with the Enfig non-MOST replacement kit, and installed a Pioneer DVH-2600NEX headunit along with some Alpine amps, and a sub in the trunk. I did not replace the factory speakers; with a good amp they actually sound very good.
I thought about going this route too. Did you use anything for steering wheel controls? Also, did you have to use fiber optic loops on anything?
Old 09-03-2022, 12:23 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2014 E550
it includes the steering wheel control module. but unfortunately, it looks like the non-most version of that kit is no longer available