E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

722.6 Torque Converter bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 11:21 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 E63 AMG W211
722.6 Torque Converter bad?

So, for a while I've been experiencing what I believe is the same symptoms as when glycol enters the ATF. Now, I am 100% sure that it is not the glycol issue, because long before these issues started, I had fitted a different radiator for the gear box. So there is virtually no chance that glycol has got into the ATF...

The symptoms are as follows,

- While driving at around 40 km/h @ ~1200 RPM and pulling very lightly, I experience a rattling similar to driving over rumble strips. It immediately goes away if I give it a little bit more gas.
- Sometimes when exiting parkings, if I suddenly cut the power will still going uphill in the parking's exit ramp I will hear a noise similar to the typical sound of grinding in manual gearboxes, and the car will shudder/jerk very slightly.

I also have the impression that when I floor it, it shifts slightly late, as I see the engine redlining before the shift is complete. (Being a CDI I see the tacometer dangerously close to 5000 rpm). But I am not sure if this is a flaw, or it is the way that it is supposed to be.

Given that I don't have glycol in the oil. I would suppose that the Lock-Up Clutch inside the Torque Converter is simply worn, and whenever it engages it slips causing the droning/rattling etc...

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?