E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 2003 E500 Car is dead after plugging in phone charger in lighter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 e500 2003
W211 2003 E500 Car is dead after plugging in phone charger in lighter

Hello everyone, I've been having my dashboard, cluster, blower fan, headlights, go on and off (always all at the same time) randomly for a few years already. The "on/off action" is quick, random, and can occur in multiple on/off bursts for several minutes, or simply occur once randomly. I can often trigger the "on/off action" by simply turning the whippers on. If the "on/off action" occurred during driving, the car would NOT stop. I therefore lived with this for several years.

After taking the car out from storage, I've been having other issues like sbc braking warnings which i manage to get through.

BUT, the real problem I have now is that as I was stopped at a light, and plugged my phone charger in the cigarette lighter, I heard a pop and the entire dashboard went black. The key would not even turn or get an ignition noise when putting the key in. After inspecting the front sam, the cigarette lighter fuse was completely blown. I replaced that fuse yet the car is still dead just like when I first popped the fuse.

All the fuses in the front sam are ok. Does this mean my front SAM is completely dead and needs to be replaced?

I also checked continuity for front and back prefuse between main power supply and distribution cables to make sure no power-supply pre-fuses were blown.

Thank you for your help.

Notes: alternator OEM with bosh regulator, rear battery, are both changed 2 years ago.

Last edited by dave123; 03-19-2021 at 08:29 PM.