E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2005 E500 Windshield cracked by stone - what to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2004 | 02:31 PM

2005 E500, Premium Package
2005 E500 Windshield cracked by stone - what to do?

Well, after 2 weeks in it, my 2005 E500 got hit by a pebble on the freeway, on the middle passenger side edge of the windshield, and now has about a ten inch crack from the edge. I have a $250 comp and collision deductible with my insurance, but not sure where to go from here.

I called the dealer and the repair is $1,400 which includes a 6 hour professional installer. I have had REALLY bad experiences in the past with mobile windshield replacement services - chipped paint, damaged moldings, etc. And I would really like to have this done right, since the car is in perfect condition still with about 400 miles on it. Any suggestions on how to handle this? I know I should get an OEM windshield at $800 - that's not even an issue. Are there any cheaper resources for OEM windshields? I have no idea what limitations my insurance will place on the repair.

I suppose it is lucky it was the windshield and not the hood or the roof support, but anyway, appreciate any help or suggestions.
Old 09-03-2004 | 03:05 PM

Since you're in LA, you have quite a few dealers to choose from. Maybe you can price shop the repair by calling them for a quotation. Or, maybe an authorized body shop that does repairs for the dealers can install the OEM replacement for you.
Old 09-03-2004 | 04:16 PM

E500
You Should Get It Much Less From Mb

I have an E500 Sport Pkg (w/blue tint windshield). I had to replace it after some a_ _ hole threw a ceramic mug at it. It was replaced at the MB dealer I use by the body shop. It is the identical OEM part with the PPG info stamped on it. Total before sales tax was $903.00

Parts - $520.00

Labor - $370.50

Misc - $12.50

It's probably a statement of the obvious but find a dealer that will do it themselves. The dealer you're using is contracting it out and adding a profit for themslves.

When the job is done, make sure you carefully check things like the interior A
pillar trim and the headliner and dash areas. When mine was changed they got a little adhesive on the A pillar trim piece. they pointed it out to me and had already ordered a replacement.

Upon completion the car was as good as new. I would never know the windshield was replaced.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2004 | 05:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by e500
I had to replace it after some a_ _ hole threw a ceramic mug at it.
Curious as to why someone would throw a ceramic mug at your windshield?
Old 09-03-2004 | 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
If you were driving, be glad it was only the glass that was hit. Much easier to repair & no paint matching problems. Be sure they order the "signed" sticker for the passenger side of the glass.
Old 09-03-2004 | 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
See my thread a little ways down about this. I just had a similiar thing happen last week. My concern was (should be yours as well) is how good they do the job. The windshield is an integral part of the car in the event of an accident. Improperly installed windshields can be a VERY dangerous thing if you should be involved in an accident. In NY my deductible is for collision only. No deductible for glass. Of course the insurance co. wants you to use some mobile or mass market place to do the job. I told my insurance co., I own a German car, I expect German parts. My dealer does the install on site, as a result of what can happen if not done correctly. It is not cheap. Was quoted $1,400 for glass and install. I am concerned about my paintwork though, and I will be doing a lot of "hovering" when the car is in there. My dealer does not deal with insurance co.'s so I have to pay out of pocket and then submit the bill, and see how much I get back.
Old 09-03-2004 | 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Curious as to why someone would throw a ceramic mug at your windshield?
Ignorant people.

Also concerning your windshield, I'm sorry to hear about the mishappening and hope you can get it repaired with no further issues.