E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Protecting interior (Dogs)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 Sport, 2004 E500 Wagon
Protecting interior (Dogs)

As a new owner of an E500 sedan there are many things I enjoy about driving it. What I don't enjoy is having to switch to my wife's Saab wagon when we need to travel with the dogs (rotti mix and shepard mix).

For those thinking, why would I want to put two large dogs in my car, simply replace the word "dogs" with "kids" and "claws" with "toys, juice box, snacks, etc." and I'm sure it will apply to many other people.

The seats are not a problem, there are plenty of seat protectors and by folding down the rear seats and removing the seat cushions it solves most of the problem, the child seat anchors even make a great attachment point for their harnesses. The problem is even restrained they can have a good reach and claws on the door panels is not desirable but I have not figured out a way to keep them covered.

Anyone had a similar experience and solution?
Old 09-05-2004, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
[QUOTE=Benz-E-r]
For those thinking, why would I want to put two large dogs in my car, simply replace the word "dogs" with "kids" and "claws" with "toys, juice box, snacks, etc." and I'm sure it will apply to many other people.
QUOTE]

I dunno about you, but Claws arent an equivalent of toys and snacks. Last I checked, these things didnt tear or pull the material on peoples doors. OK, now that I've basically said I would never put dogs in my car... I know of no such product that would "protect" the doors. SOmething tells me it would look hideous if such a thing did exist.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:15 PM

SLR
I've had to face that idea myself, I have three full German Shepherds. Two of which are working dogs so I must be able to take them with me.

My solution...I bought a relatives SUV that she was selling. Yeah, it seems more expensive, but not as expensive/time consuming as having to replace interior trim or attempting to fix the leather interior on a $50k+ car.

But, if you don't want to go that route, you could always try getting 2 of the seat covers that MB sells and seeing if one would go across the seats and the other across the rear cabin to cover the side panels. That, or try getting a cage that they could fit in, and that you could slide in and out when you need it.

Or, just get of the Saab and buy a MB wagon.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Benz-E-r
As a new owner of an E500 sedan there are many things I enjoy about driving it. What I don't enjoy is having to switch to my wife's Saab wagon when we need to travel with the dogs (rotti mix and shepard mix).

The seats are not a problem, there are plenty of seat protectors and by folding down the rear seats and removing the seat cushions it solves most of the problem, the child seat anchors even make a great attachment point for their harnesses. The problem is even restrained they can have a good reach and claws on the door panels is not desirable but I have not figured out a way to keep them covered.

Anyone had a similar experience and solution?
Crate train the dogs and you eliminate the problem. My dog had been crate trained since he was a puppy. I just put the crate in the back seat, open the door and he jumps up and into the crate. Your dogs are bigger and may pose a more difficult problem but check into the crates available and whether they will fit into the back seat area (2 of them). Good Luck...woof, woof
Old 09-05-2004, 12:42 PM

2013 GL550
Here's another idea - My wife takes our Lab mix roller blading. To keep his paws from getting too sore running on the pavement, we bought these things call Mucklucks or something like that. They are basically ballistic nylon "booties" with a leather sole. The dog walks like a Clydesdale horse at first but then he's fine. No way they could scratch anything with those on their feet. Good luck.

Bruce
Old 09-05-2004, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by jester2ll2
Or, just get of the Saab and buy a MB wagon.
My wife almost got me into an MB wagon originally...and it is the solution that will eventually win out , something to protect the interior was just a thought.

RE: crate training. Not really an option at this point. Both dogs were saved from the pound and 1+yrs old. At this point crate training is beyond our abilities. They are both harness trained so that is enough for their safety and our sanity.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by BMcD-E500
Here's another idea - My wife takes our Lab mix roller blading. To keep his paws from getting too sore running on the pavement, we bought these things call Mucklucks or something like that. They are basically ballistic nylon "booties" with a leather sole. The dog walks like a Clydesdale horse at first but then he's fine. No way they could scratch anything with those on their feet. Good luck.

Bruce
Great idea. Booties had crossed my mind at one point but forget all about them. We might be able to train the lads into wearing them.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by Benz-E-r
My wife almost got me into an MB wagon originally...and it is the solution that will eventually win out , something to protect the interior was just a thought.

The only reason why we have the Estate car

Thank goodness I opted for the Mercedes-Benz protection package. We have the very light grey interior and the pooch is long haired and can get quite dirty, but a quick vacuum soon removes any trace of mud and hair.

If he tried scratching at the interior he would very quickly become a long-haired corgi

John

Hot Torquay
Attached Thumbnails Protecting interior (Dogs)-stand1.jpg  

Last edited by glojo; 09-06-2004 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:20 AM

2005 E500, Premium Package
Or perhaps the best solution of all - if not a bit more expensive - mobile groomers and mobile vets. Let 'em come to you.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:45 PM

Glojo - Outstanding dog. I have the same light grey interior, I know what you are talking about. I am waiting for Benz to bring the E320 CDI Wagon (Estate sounds so much more appropriate, but what can we do?) across the pond. My lads are both short hair but the one with a bit of Shep sheds quite a bit. The Rotti mix just pants and drools on everything, good thing for Scotch Guard.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:51 PM

SLR
Try dealing with these three in a sedan.
Attached Thumbnails Protecting interior (Dogs)-x-mas-puppies.jpg  
Old 09-07-2004, 11:28 PM
SCH
Almost a Member!

911 Turbo, M5, E55 wagon
You may try the covers for the doors from Canine Covers

www.caninecovers.com

I bought the wagon but my boss has these in his CL55 for his Lab. They are not cheap but they appear well made.
Attached Thumbnails Protecting interior (Dogs)-doorshield_big.jpg  

Last edited by SCH; 09-08-2004 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jester2ll2
Try dealing with these three in a sedan.
Whose the driver

Incidentally they look related.

John

Still windy Torquay
Old 09-08-2004, 02:50 PM

SLR
I'm usually the driver, they are all pretty much calm in the back seat.

Two are cousins from the same breeder (very reputable) and only 1 month apart. The other (on left) is from another breeder and the oldest.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:55 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
No real concerns w/ our new puppy
Attached Thumbnails Protecting interior (Dogs)-cimg1213.jpg  
Old 09-08-2004, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lig
No real concerns w/ our new puppy

Nice one

He\She could even travel in the glove box

John
Night time in Torquay
Old 09-08-2004, 03:40 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Thanks! He's a really cute puppy. My wife is just ecstatic!

I suppose he could ride in the armrest box and have his own air conditioned little space hehe...

Originally Posted by glojo
Nice one

He\She could even travel in the glove box

John
Night time in Torquay
Old 09-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Almost a Member!

MB E320, BMW 323i
Benz-E-R,

I'm not sure if MB has this as an accessory but I used to own a 528i sedan and BMW sold a dog cover. It was essentially a leather cover that you pulled over the front headrests. The back portion was held up similarily by the back headrests. So essentially, this leather cover sort of "cradled" the dog in the backseat. Any loose dirt, slobber, or hair would end up on the cover and not directly on the seats. It worked very well when we had to take our dog for long roadtrips.

Of course, it didn't prevent the inevitable doggy slobber on the back windows though!

I kept the leather cover but haven't had to take my dog in my E since I bought it. I can't see why the same cover wouldn't work with the E-class with the exception that the headrests are different shapes.

Maybe you can check MB if they have something similar or Performance Products?

Good luck!!
Old 09-08-2004, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SDChargers
Benz-E-R,

I'm not sure if MB has this as an accessory but I used to own a 528i sedan and BMW sold a dog cover. It was essentially a leather cover that you pulled over the front headrests. The back portion was held up similarily by the back headrests. So essentially, this leather cover sort of "cradled" the dog in the backseat. Any loose dirt, slobber, or hair would end up on the cover and not directly on the seats. It worked very well when we had to take our dog for long roadtrips.
The item you are referring to is Mercedes-Benz part number B6 7983368, but sadly the originator of this thread was enquiring about protection for the doors.

The panels are extremely vunerable from an 'excited' dog and I cannot think of any Mercedes-Benz option. Your suggestion is an excellent one for protecting the seats and the accessory is waterproof.

Regards,
John
Night-time in Torquay
Old 09-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Almost a Member!

MB E320, BMW 323i
Woops! Thanks for clarifying Glojo.

For the BMW seat cover, the sides did go all the way up to the windows though so it did protect the backdoors. There was some velcro part that allowed you to either keep the door pieces up or down (and allow easy entry / exit for dogs).