E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

722.9 transmission fault, second time: valve body/conductor plate (control unit)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
212 chassis are subject to trans cooler failure inside the radiator, creating a very expensive repair sometimes as much as the car is worth.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes 2011 E350
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
212 chassis are subject to trans cooler failure inside the radiator, creating a very expensive repair sometimes as much as the car is worth.
Hopefully that's not the case with mine, one thing I did notice today while driving the car to work was that it drives smoother and better when in Manual mode, the RPMs still go up and down at a tolerance of 150 to 187 rpms, but we'll see, just talked to the shop and they weren't able to get to it today, so will have to wait until tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
E55Greasemonkey (05-26-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes 2011 E350
Well, got a call from the transmission shop just an hour ago

Unfortunately didn't give me good news, he wants to charge $1395 to drop the transmission and somewhere around $5500 to $6500 to get the transmission fixed.

I asked him why can't I just buy a used transmission and replace it, He said he doesn't do that, he wants to fully rebuild the transmission as that is what he has been doing for 42 years.

Does this sound ok to all you guys? I mean i was hoping that it was only the conductor plate and solenoids that needed to be replaced, I was estimating I would only have to spend around $3500 at the most, but Yikes!!!!

From doing a lot of research I have read in many threads that it is totally possible to program a new TCM to a different car, This guy told me he would need to take the transmission to the dealer after rebuilding the entire thing, but that doesn't make sense to me unless he replaces the TCM as well.

If that is the case, why wouldn't you be able to entirely replace the whole transmission if you still have to reprogram the TCM?

I mean wouldn't it be the same, if He still needs to take the rebuilt transmission to the dealer to get it programmed, why not do the same with a used transmission?

What do you guys think, am I missing something or does all this make sense to you?

Looks to me that I am totally screwed either way.

Walter
Old 05-27-2021, 11:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
What are your options? Pay the money, or take the car to another repair shop. Call first to find a repair shop that will fix the transmission according to your wishes. Or buy a new vehicle.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by MB0902
Well, got a call from the transmission shop just an hour ago

Unfortunately didn't give me good news, he wants to charge $1395 to drop the transmission and somewhere around $5500 to $6500 to get the transmission fixed.

I asked him why can't I just buy a used transmission and replace it, He said he doesn't do that, he wants to fully rebuild the transmission as that is what he has been doing for 42 years.

Does this sound ok to all you guys? I mean i was hoping that it was only the conductor plate and solenoids that needed to be replaced, I was estimating I would only have to spend around $3500 at the most, but Yikes!!!!

From doing a lot of research I have read in many threads that it is totally possible to program a new TCM to a different car, This guy told me he would need to take the transmission to the dealer after rebuilding the entire thing, but that doesn't make sense to me unless he replaces the TCM as well.

If that is the case, why wouldn't you be able to entirely replace the whole transmission if you still have to reprogram the TCM?

I mean wouldn't it be the same, if He still needs to take the rebuilt transmission to the dealer to get it programmed, why not do the same with a used transmission?

What do you guys think, am I missing something or does all this make sense to you?

Looks to me that I am totally screwed either way.

Walter
I'd search around for another repair shop that was willing to put in a used transmission from a junkyard. There's lots out there in the 1k range, try car-part.com. Normally most of the time it's the conductor plate, but I think it always throws off a code so if you're not getting a code, it could be the transmission or you're just not used to it. I'd at least do a transmission reset so it relearns your driving pattern. Are you sure the fluid level is correct?
MB0902 (07-17-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 12:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Mercedes Benz C250
Exclamation 2013 Mercedes Benz C250 mechanic said faulty electronic plate

hey new to the forums just need some help,

Purchased my car brand new from dealer ship 2013 Mercedes Benz c250 currently on 55,000KMS hardly drive anywhere.
Few months now I have been driving it has a sudden jerking feeling like a tug pull, goes into limp mode , check engine light comes up. I pull over and the car dosen't start up again
maybe after 20-30 mins it will start. check engine light sometimes comes on and goes away. Thought it had something to do with the petrol, dirty fuel etc but wasnt the case.
took it to the mechanics and they said it has a faulty electronic plate . wondering if anyone else has had this problem because i think they going to charge me an arm and leg.

ckes (06-20-2024)
Old 07-17-2021, 04:03 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by churrrbro91
hey new to the forums just need some help,

Purchased my car brand new from dealer ship 2013 Mercedes Benz c250 currently on 55,000KMS hardly drive anywhere.
Few months now I have been driving it has a sudden jerking feeling like a tug pull, goes into limp mode , check engine light comes up. I pull over and the car dosen't start up again
maybe after 20-30 mins it will start. check engine light sometimes comes on and goes away. Thought it had something to do with the petrol, dirty fuel etc but wasnt the case.
took it to the mechanics and they said it has a faulty electronic plate . wondering if anyone else has had this problem because i think they going to charge me an arm and leg.
Conductor plate. A shop charged me about $600 to replace it. The part is actually more expensive than the labor itself
Old 09-28-2021, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz c230
i have a 2006 c230 and when i did the system report on it using the scanner it said the signal from component y3/8n1 (turbine speed sensor (VGS)) is not available. i know that i might have a faulty sensor need to replace. would it be hard to replace?
Old 07-06-2023, 12:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Update: Two years on, the car is running great

Just a follow up to point out we have now put over 25,000 miles on the car since I dropped the TCU and had it repaired, and the car is still humming along beautifully.

I say this only to encourage other people not to throw in the towel if they have a malfunctioning sensor or solenoid. It is absolutely worth the repair!