E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Pre-wired phone, Do I need the radio/CD on?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-wired phone, Do I need the radio/CD on?

I have phone pre wired in my e320cdi. fitted the cradle yesterday. Do I need to have the radio or CD on for the phone to function? If they are off, the display on the centre of the speedo states 'phone off' I know it makes sense for the radio/cd to be on if I want to make a call, but what if I want a quiet drive and the phone ready for incoming calls?
Old 09-08-2004, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Phone & Head unit must be on. You can turn the radio volume down to not hear it. This will not effect the phone volume. Whatever is playing when you adjust the volume, is the only volume level that is adjusted.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:45 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 R320 CDI
Any word on when the phones are coming for the 05 CDIs here? I'm waiting on my dealer for the V710 (Verizon). Any info anyone has and can share would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2004, 02:06 PM

2013 w204 C350
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Phone & Head unit must be on. You can turn the radio volume down to not hear it. This will not effect the phone volume. Whatever is playing when you adjust the volume, is the only volume level that is adjusted.
Not neccesarily true; at least not in my 04 e500 with the V60. My phone comes on automatically it seems when I open my door to the car, I can always tell since it vibrates as Im initially sitting in the seat without the key even in the ignition. Many times I have had my radio OFF, and a call would come through. The radio will turn ON and display the Phone menu and persone number calling. I also wondered because it shows Phone Off in the cluster display; however if you look your phone is actually on and a quick call to it when your radio is off will confirm my post.

Fazooley
Old 09-10-2004, 02:30 PM

E320 CDI
Not received any calls in in my new E with the radio off, but I think Fazooly is right: in wife's CLK it works fine - incoming calls come in with radio switched off. Perhaps it depends on what head unit/sat nav is installed?