P0446 Help Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
P0446 Help Please

Hi All,

I just purchased a 2004 E320 4Matic from my Dad who can no longer drive. Figure I would help him out.

One of the issues on the car was the dreaded gas smell. He never took up MB on the extended warranty for the fuel system and now it is over 15 years. Well I found the issue to be the fuel sender unit (leak from the top) and replaced it. The gas is no longer leaking, but I am throwing a P0446 code now. Initial thoughts were that the new unit is faulty (may still be the case), but it got me thinking that because the old sender unit had a leak, it may have prevented the code because the tank couldn't build up enough pressure. Anyway, I guess the next step is to pull the inner wheel well cover and check the charcoal canister and if any lines are clogged.

Any other areas I should be checking? Really appreciate the expertise here on the forum and hope to contribute as I learn more about this car.

Thanks,
Jamie

2004 E320 4Matic
Old 06-22-2021, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
I don't like to leave open threads like this, so here is what the issue was.

The sender unit I purchased for cheap on eBay was a piece of crap. I started getting major mis-fires and the the car ran like crap. I replaced the sender and fuel pump together with a set from VDO and all is good.

Bottom line, spend the extra money and get VDO.

Thanks,
Jamie