E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E63 - Steering Rack Shot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 11:33 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 E63 AMG W211
E63 - Steering Rack Shot?

This is a duplicate of a post I made on the W211 AMG forum. But since the steering seems to be the the same as other W211 I will post here as well just in case someone has more experience.

Recently I noticed a "crack" noise while turning the steering wheel in my W211 E63 with load in the wheels (aka when I am not moving, or at a very low speed, as in when I'm parking).

I took the car to my "trusted" garage, and upon inspection they told me that the steering rack was completely shot, and that I needed to replace it.

And furthermore it had to be replaced ASAP, because of a safety reason and in order to avoid damage to other parts of the steering/suspension. Now, obviously and specially during these times it's no wonder the garage wants to replace my steering rack, but is it necessary? Or is just play in the rack due to normal wear and tear?

I want to clarify, that other than this barely noticeable noise (from inside the car that is) there is absolutely nothing wrong with the steering of the car. It's precise and it gets stiffer the higher the speed.

Just yesterday while driving back I did 220 kph for a while, and it felt as good as always.

Attached is the video which the garage forwarded to me to prove the rack is shot. Any thoughts?

As always, highly appreciated and thanks beforehand!

VIDEO IN GOOGLE DRIVE : https://drive.google.com/file/d/18W5...ew?usp=sharing
Attached Files
File Type: mov
video.mov (3.24 MB, 14 views)

Last edited by ctxa; 06-18-2021 at 03:51 PM. Reason: I added a video
Old 06-18-2021, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 695 Likes on 507 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Where are you that it's OK to do 220kph? I want to go there.
Can't see the movie (maybe post it up on youtube and link it?) but I don't think I'd be taking a high speed jaunt to disprove a "trusted" shop's diagnosis of imminent failure on the part that keeps the cruise missile pointed where intended.
If you don't trust your "trusted" shop, get a second opinion. Maybe lay off the high speed tests until you KNOW it works.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:50 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 E63 AMG W211
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
Where are you that it's OK to do 220kph? I want to go there.
Can't see the movie (maybe post it up on youtube and link it?) but I don't think I'd be taking a high speed jaunt to disprove a "trusted" shop's diagnosis of imminent failure on the part that keeps the cruise missile pointed where intended.
If you don't trust your "trusted" shop, get a second opinion. Maybe lay off the high speed tests until you KNOW it works.
I have edited my original post and added a link to the video in Google Drive.

The country is Thailand, it is obviously not legal to do 220kph. But if I did get caught, it's just a matter of bribing the cop in question. Anyway.

Yes my "trusted" shop said it should be replaced ASAP. But a friend of mine who is a mechanic at the local Merc dealer in my home country said it was just that the steering rack had some play due to normal wear & tear. And not an urgent matter nor a question of life and death.

And I am inclined to believe him seeing that the car has absolutely no symptoms that affect driving (only the noise). Of course the "trusted" shop wants replace it ASAP, probably not because they fear it may fail; but rather because they badly need the money during these times

Last edited by ctxa; 06-18-2021 at 03:53 PM.