E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

VCS Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 w/ AMG Sport Package
VCS Questions

Why does MB not offer VCS without the phone option?

Wouldnt it be a nice option?

How do we offer suggestions to MB?

Is the car already pre-wired for this?

Can you add this option afterwards or is it only recommended from the factory?
Old 09-12-2004, 08:05 PM

2013 w204 C350
Im sure about the car being pre-wired, I think it connects to the phone system somehow though. My car did not come with the phone or the vcs, had them install the phone first and then a month or two later installed the VCS. The vcs ran around 300-400 or something like that; to be honest with you its a complete waste. I cant even rememeber ever using it

Fazooley
Old 09-12-2004, 11:06 PM

Whichever one is available (1 of 5)
I use my VCS all the time, that way I won't take my eyes off the road. I can tell the VCS to dial a number, dial a name from phone book, change CD, change tracks, change radio stations. Saves a lot of time. Again, you have get used to talking while other drivers look at you funny, thinking you are talking to yourself. Just roll your window down, and let them hear your talk to the VCS.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by fazooley
Im sure about the car being pre-wired, I think it connects to the phone system somehow though. My car did not come with the phone or the vcs, had them install the phone first and then a month or two later installed the VCS. The vcs ran around 300-400 or something like that; to be honest with you its a complete waste. I cant even rememeber ever using it

Fazooley
so did a dealer do it or a after market shop?
Old 09-13-2004, 02:14 AM

2013 w204 C350
Originally Posted by lyrixmajor
so did a dealer do it or a after market shop?

Dealer actually did mine when it went in for some problem with the phone system. When I initially got the phone I opted not to get the vcs because I thoguht it was a waste, which it turned out to be; lol. I mean dont get me wrong, you can tell it to dial a number and change stations. However you cannot control your navigation which to me is ridicolous. If it where able to integrate with the navi I think it would be much more useful

Fazooley
Old 09-13-2004, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
There also is no voice command to return to Satellite Radio from any other aplication. You must press the SAT button.

Recently discovered that if you are listening to radio & want to make a call by voice, you dont have to first say "telephone" and then say "dial name"... you just say "dial name" from whatever application you are in and it will dial.

Its a great option, you dont have to take your eyes off the road to press any buttons. (except to return to satellite)

...as for controlling the NAV, how could they have missed programming in a soft button button that would allow you to enter a zip code, rather than spell out " W E S T H A R T F O R D"?
Old 09-26-2004, 07:50 AM

my main reason was to get this for the navigation....that sucks...

i guess i will have to leave that option alone...
Old 09-26-2004, 08:33 AM

2013 w204 C350
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
There also is no voice command to return to Satellite Radio from any other aplication. You must press the SAT button.

Recently discovered that if you are listening to radio & want to make a call by voice, you dont have to first say "telephone" and then say "dial name"... you just say "dial name" from whatever application you are in and it will dial.

Its a great option, you dont have to take your eyes off the road to press any buttons. (except to return to satellite)

...as for controlling the NAV, how could they have missed programming in a soft button button that would allow you to enter a zip code, rather than spell out " W E S T H A R T F O R D"?
The Euro Comand actually adds the P.Code softkey. How they think it is easier for US clients to type in the whole name instead of the zipcode is beyond me. Thank god I have a Euro Unit.

Fazooley
Old 09-26-2004, 12:37 PM

i'm getting the Euro Comand in November....Steve will be on the East coast and I'm going to do the switch....looking forward to it....
Old 09-26-2004, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by fazooley
The Euro Comand actually adds the P.Code softkey. How they think it is easier for US clients to type in the whole name instead of the zipcode is beyond me. Thank god I have a Euro Unit.

Fazooley
It's correct that you can dial in the Post Code on EU cars, but you cannot input the PC via VCS (Linguatronic). You must use the keys.