E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

08 E320 - EGR testing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Mercedes E320 Bluetec
Question 08 E320 - EGR testing

We have a 2008 Mercedes E320 Bluetec. When we bought this car, it knowingly had issues. It had been sitting for a few years and wouldn't stay running longer than 30seconds. Did an oil and filter change, fuel filter swap, found defective swirl flap motor and replaced, found issues with the DPF. Pulled DPF and Cats off the car and cleaned them to the best of our ability. DPF was super clogged but finally got some flow going through it (Seems to still be somewhat plugged). Installed new sensors with the cleaned exhaust and BOOM.... The car started right up and is driveable now.

Our current issue is this Mercedes still is lacking power/throttle response. Flooring the throttle will very slowly increase the speed or not at all if on an incline. If the exhaust was so dirty and plugged up with soot, I figured it would be logical to pull off the EGR valve to clean and test. I have the EGR valve off now and it does seem to be pretty dirty but manually moving the valve actuator slides the valve open and close with no problem. I'm trying to figure out how to test this thing with a multimeter to make sure the computer is opening/closing this valve or if the valve is faulty.

Also, I have 3 trouble codes that are appearing as well FYI:
p0101 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance
p3237 - ??
p242F - Particulate Filter Restriction - Ash accumulation bank 1

How do I completely test the EGR to rule it out? What is p3237 for? If the EGR valve is faulty, does any software have to be changed with a new replacement?
Old 07-30-2021, 06:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
to correctly help define your issues find someone with DAS Xentry or XDOS those diagnostic tools will quickly provide answers to your question---all else is the FUYAA