E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Engine wires melted, replaced, now it won't crank.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2021 | 08:05 PM

2008 E320 Bluetec
Engine wires melted, replaced, now it won't crank.

I have a 2008 E320 Bluetec (W211 - OM642)

I replaced the oil cooler seals, which includes removing the turbo, etc. When I put it all back together, I didn't tighten down the turbo to exhaust bolts. So there was a leak of the turbo gases into the engine compartment that I didn't notice. I went for a nice long drive to help reset the fault codes, and while driving the car briefly went into limp mode and then turned completely off. I popped the hood to find that the heat from the turbo had melted many of the wires on the top of the engine. Several were fused together. Ooops. What a mess. I had the car towed back to my garage.

I pulled the entire wire assembly where it exits the ECU and replaced it completely with a non-melted replacement. Now I have all brand new wires, the car is fully reassembled and everything is plugged in as it should be. The battery is fully charged, and all the fuses (trunk fuses, under-hood driver side fuses, and the ones on the side of the drivers dash inside the door) have all been replaced. I cleared the codes with a ODB reader, and tried to start the car. The car doesn't crank. I get electrical. I have dash lights, and the radio is working. The car keep re-sending P0107, P0546, and P0193. But the car still won't crank.

I feel like there is some simple explanation. My starter was working just fine before all the wires melted.

Can anyone think of something else I might need to do to reset the electrical system so I can start this car?
Old 08-31-2021 | 12:15 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

1999 E300TD
I would sell your tools and garage and buy a bicycle shop
The following users liked this post:
WinterPark321 (09-01-2021)