E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Boot/Trunk(?) Release Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDI March 03 Avant-Garde, Tansanite Blue/Grey Nappa
Boot/Trunk(?) Release Question

I am in the process of buying a used E-Class (March 2003). I wondered whether the boot can be locked completely. Say I leave the vehicle locked and unattended, with things in the boot: can the boot release be used to open the boot from the cabin, if someone breaks into the car?

NM
Old 09-16-2004, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by ENEM
I am in the process of buying a used E-Class (March 2003). I wondered whether the boot can be locked completely. Say I leave the vehicle locked and unattended, with things in the boot: can the boot release be used to open the boot from the cabin, if someone breaks into the car?

NM
There is only one way to know. Take the metal key from the Smart Key and insert it in the lock for the trunk. See if you can rotate the key clock wise. If not, you will not have the Valet capability. If you can rotate it clockwise (and remove it), see if the trunk will open with the rest of the car unlocked. If you can, you obviously do not have the Valet function. It seems that this function was removed from American imports sometime during the 2003 model year.

BTW, where do you live? Supposedly, the Valet function was removed from US models but not in other markets.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:09 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Previous posts on this topic gave me the impression that the ability to separately lock the trunk with the metal key was deleted during the '04 model year, but only in the US or North American market. Our car has the ability, but it's an early '03 build - 9/02. ENEM may be in the UK, to judge from the use of "boot." People have mentioned this before, but it's a really good idea to include your location in your public profile.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
My '03 E320 was built 01/03 and I can lock the boot (trunk) with the metal key. When the boot is locked with the metal key, the remote and the release on the driver's door will not unlock the boot.

Jim