E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help with air filter replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2004 | 03:30 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E500 Sport
Help with air filter replacement

I consider myself a fairly sharp guy, but I am completely stumped by the airbox in my E500. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get to the air filters. Can anyone explain how to get to them? I got the front cover off, but after that, I got nothin'. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2004 | 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by hilmar2k
I consider myself a fairly sharp guy, but I am completely stumped by the airbox in my E500. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get to the air filters. Can anyone explain how to get to them? I got the front cover off, but after that, I got nothin'. Thanks.
The rear cover including the air filters is just clipped on. You need to lift it up and it should pop off. It may take some effort.

You get to the air filters from the under side of the rear cover but it takes some type of torx bit to get to them.
Old 09-18-2004 | 06:03 PM

2013 GL550
Look under the top engine cover and on top of the engine block you will see two round rubber things on short posts. The air cleaner assembly has metal spring clips that clip on to these rubber things. There are two more in the rear. Try lifting at one corner first and you will feel it pop off. Make sure you pull off the left and right air snorkels first. For the first try you have to give it a pretty good yank straight up. Once it's off you flip it over and there are three or four torx screws to access each side. These do not need to come all the way out of their holes. Change your filters and reverse the process. I put a bit of WD-40 on the rubber things to make it easier to snap back on. Good luck.

Bruce