How should a Mercedes transmission "feel?"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Mercedes E320
How should a Mercedes transmission "feel?"

Hi all,

I'm driving a 2004 E320. This is my first Mercedes, and the transmission feels different than any car I've ever owned. I'm wondering if these things are normal:
  • When in Drive, foot off the accelerator, engine speed is about 600RPM but it doesn't idle forward unless I give it a little gas. (Every car I've ever owned idles forward, but my vacuum cleaner idles forward more than this car does... normal?) In Sport mode, it idles a little bit but still slower than my vacuum cleaner.
  • Shifting feels "tight" .. almost like there is a lot of pressure, no slack. It's not rough or anything like that, just really tight. Hard to describe... but does this sound right?
  • It downshifts early, like, any other auto transmission would not downshift until the car is under load (accelerating uphill or something like that.) But this one seems to downshift early based on the speed alone, and not hydraulic pressure in the trans. Is this because of the trans being much more computerized?
In all other respects, it seems to ride just fine, plenty of power, freeway speed is comfortable and smooth. Just wondering if these differences are because of advanced electronic controls vs. the traditional, primary hydraulic controls I'm used to in other cars.

Thanks,
-Jim
Old 12-24-2021, 02:52 PM

Received 79 Likes on 78 Posts
W204 C220CDI 2011
I had the 5-speed box in a W204 and it would "creep" when idling at good walking pace.
I would get a dipstick and check the ATF level.
EDIT: check that the brakes are not dragging

Last edited by alecmascot; 12-24-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:34 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
What is the maintenance history of the transmission? The 722.6 is a tough transmission and can take a lot of abuse, but it prefers to have clean fluid. In general, it won't just drive away in D if you let off the brake.
Old 12-24-2021, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 s 430 w220.
Quest on servicing tranny

Originally Posted by Winter_Chicken
Hi all,

I'm driving a 2004 E320. This is my first Mercedes, and the transmission feels different than any car I've ever owned. I'm wondering if these things are normal:
  • When in Drive, foot off the accelerator, engine speed is about 600RPM but it doesn't idle forward unless I give it a little gas. (Every car I've ever owned idles forward, but my vacuum cleaner idles forward more than this car does... normal?) In Sport mode, it idles a little bit but still slower than my vacuum cleaner.
  • Shifting feels "tight" .. almost like there is a lot of pressure, no slack. It's not rough or anything like that, just really tight. Hard to describe... but does this sound right?
  • It downshifts early, like, any other auto transmission would not downshift until the car is under load (accelerating uphill or something like that.) But this one seems to downshift early based on the speed alone, and not hydraulic pressure in the trans. Is this because of the trans being much more computerized?
In all other respects, it seems to ride just fine, plenty of power, freeway speed is comfortable and smooth. Just wondering if these differences are because of advanced electronic controls vs. the traditional, primary hydraulic controls I'm used to in other cars.

Thanks,
-Jim

Quick quest.

For servicing A W220 Mercedes S430 on a transmission do you recommend a specific type of filter, Is some that I pull up to purchase, they show a smaller cansize filter and others show more of a Pan style filter what do you recommend, I'm pretty sure it should only be one style of filter unless there's another part of it and would you recommend also changing out the gaskets, etc.

Thx
Old 01-01-2022, 10:01 AM

2004 Mercedes E320
Thanks all; very helpful. The trans has never been serviced, at 135K miles it is probably a bit overdue so I'll plan on doing that. But, from the descriptions above, I think it's running like it should.

Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2022, 02:01 PM

2002 Acura TL-S and 2005 E320 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Winter_Chicken
Thanks all; very helpful. The trans has never been serviced, at 135K miles it is probably a bit overdue so I'll plan on doing that. But, from the descriptions above, I think it's running like it should.

Happy New Year!
the transmission fluid on our vehicle, as far as i am aware, has never been changed.

i recall reading something by other posters where mercedes claimed the transmission fluid should never have to be changed for the life of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by MPOW33R
Multiple AMG Certified techs have told and advised me

" IF YOU HAVE NEVER CHANGED YOUR ATF , DO NOT CHANGE YOUR ATF"

I have 185,000 miles on the ORIGINAL ATF !!!
Purrs like kitten. Shifts like butter.
also, i would look at the contact plate or whatever it's called. my dad needed that changed around 120k. we're near 300k now and it's still running good. not sure if the fluid must be drained to change this. a quick glance suggests not since it "mounts to the valve body".

i don't think we've changed our power steering fluid either.

always be very wary of changing these things if everything is operational.

Last edited by Broly; 01-01-2022 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo